Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
94 S320. both rear windows broke on the same day and at the same time. dis-assembled to find broken plastic housings (where the cable ends meet and are retained) on both sides.

ordered parts from dealer, they came in today and aren't what i'm needing.

the part that arrived (which is attatched to the part on my car which is broken) was just the square-shaped bushing that glides in the channel at the bottom of the window. per them, thats the part that always breaks. they informed me that i'd have to buy the regulator(s) to get the part(s) i need.

my questions -

1. is the cable-retaining plastic part (that sandwiches around the cable ends) available separate from the regulator from an aftermarket source?

2. is the part that broke on my car not the "normal one that breaks"? (i have a problem with 'mercedes' and 'normally breaks' in the same sentence, but anyway ...)

* i did a forum search prior to this post as i hate redundancy as much as the next guy. i saw plenty that told me mercedes have window 'issues', but nothing (at least in the time i spent) that answered my question. the posts regarding 'plastic jaw' replacement got me close, as originally i thought the part that had broken on my car was the 'plastic jaw'.

thanks in advance for any feedback.

* if it matters for any reason, this is a re-post. i posted this question in the 'general benz' forum today with no responses yet.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,701 Posts
Here is some info that may help

Mr HP.

I've taken one of my rear door's apart to fix a speaker, but I would get the regulator from Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips .

The regulators Your Parts Search Returned 4 Part(s)

Misc window parts Your Parts Search Returned 2 Part(s)

Window motor Your Parts Search Returned 2 Part(s)

Here is some documents to help in the journey..

Hope this helps.

Martin

PS. I get many of all my service parts for my S320 from Autohausaz

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 S600 98K miles, 1994 E320 Cabriolet 13K, 2012 GLK 24K
268 Posts
Regulator manufacturers

Is there one brand of rear door regulator that is better than another or are they all the same. Has MB revised these parts over the years to make them less prone to breaking? Is it worth using an original MB one vs. the ones mentioned at Autohaus - Meyle brand? Anybody know the diffrence?

·
Registered
F250 7.3TD Mercedes Benz W140 S600 1996 119k k's(sold), MB W124 300E 1989 261k k's(sold)
464 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The new gen MB part that was supplied when I replaced my reg last year, the plastic cable jaw had been upgraded to a metal one. Apparently there have been 3 upgrades to the original regulator - i.e. the reg with the plastic cable jaw.

Pictures of the old and new at: V12 Uber Alles, Replacing the Rear Window Regulator in a W140 Mercedes Benz
the part that broke on my car is the one that apparently went thru a few design changes (per the link that you provided). is this part (formerly just plastic and now metal reinforced it looks like - http://v12uberalles.com/windowregulator6.jpg) what is referred to as the plastic jaw and is it available seperate from the regulator?

i've seen reference to it being replaced when searching the forums but my local dealer says you can't get it seperate from the regulator (this is assuming the plastic jaw is the part that clamps around the regulator slide track and glides up and down on it)

* i thank you sir, and MAVA, for the excellent links you both provided and your time spent in doing so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts