Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently purchased a 94 E420 w/90K. Car runs and looks great, but I'd like to change the trans oil /filter tomorrow. Car did not come with owner's manual and like to change for peace of mind. I've tried searching this forum and can't seem to get the answer I'm looking for. :surrender: Can anyone recommend the exact amount of trans fluid needed for this? I've searched an online tech page and it's suggesting 7.7L = 8.1Quarts, is this correct? If not, anyone have the precise amount? Lastly, any suggestions on the type of oil? I've read on that Dex III is the way to go, any suggestions on brand? Does anyone know which brand/type Mercedes uses for this 124? Much, much thanks for any and all 411 on matter!

BTW, I'll be doing the engine oil as well, most likely 20-50 Castro dino (unless syntec is better? Did they even have syntec oil in 94? and if so was it used in these benzs back then?) thanks again!

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
That's right - 8.1 quarts, buat measure what you take out and put that back, then check the dipstick. Any Dexron III type is fine. 20W50 oil sounds thick for this time of year, unless you're in the southern hemisphere.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,754 Posts
Where I live in Florida, below the subtropic line, I run 10/30 syn. Seems to me the M119's like it allot and it has always run Mobil 1 since day one. Mine is as quite as a mouse, no ticks.

Jayare

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think 8.1 q sounds like a full system. I think it's about 7 q for a change.

Drain the torque converter too! There's a plug on it.

For the engine oil- these engines were designed when ZDDP was commonly high in oil. So, I'd go with a diesel rated oil- Delo 5W40 , Mobil 1300 or if you want synthetic- the Delvac 1 5W40 is a great oil (known at walmart as "diesel SUV" or something like that.

What color combo did you get?? Is it an ASR car?:thumbsup:

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,754 Posts
As Deanyel states.. 8.1 qts. That is the total transmission capacity, including torque converter on 400E/E420's.

Additionally, my 93 had Mobile 1 since new from the dealer. Every service stamp indicates that was all that was ever used. I still use it today and there is now 174M miles on the car. Zero oil consumption between changes.

Jayare

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Official literature says 9.1 quarts total capacity and 8.1 quarts oil and filter change, that is for a 722.3 on a V8. But I've never got that much out. Again, just measure what you take out and put that back, check the dipstick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: the oil changes turn out great. About the toughest part of it all was removing the left exhaust, rusty bolts where a tight as a bugger. The info on capacity where spot on, much thanks to all for the input!!

-Vehicle again is a 94 E420 w/90k. I purchased it for a mere $3400. Exterior and interior are very tight and engine is pretty strong. The seller was only selling it since his family had too many vehicle and he needed some fast cash (previous father's vehicle). I'm tackling the small maintenance concerns (oils/filters) as a precaution.

There are only 3 small concerns with the car:

1) has the ticking noise from rocker / timing chain (reading other post, it seems pretty common for these 119 motors and camshaft oilers failure) I have access to a set of metal oilers from a 92 400SE engine which I'm ASSUMING they are the same fit

2)trans takes about .5 - 1 second to shift into gear once placed in either R or D (which may need just a simple kickdown cable adjustment)

3) no maintenance records from previous owner....although seller son did state that it was well maintained by father

Well there you go, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!! Thanks again for all your input :thumbsup: .

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sounds like a nice car..

Yep the metal oil tubes will fit from an earlier car. You need to really at that point check the timing chain for stretch and probably replace the guide rails.

The wiring harnesses are a weak point of these cars, Evaporators, normal oil leaks- re-sealing cam magnets etc.

Slow shifting from park into drive is a sign of worn B3 clutch pack- which means transmission rebuild. Live with it until the it gets worse.

M

1 - 9 of 9 Posts