Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 560SEC Beryl/Palomino 91 420SEL Black Pearl/Mushroom 89 420SEL Ice Blue/Navy 88 420SEL 94 E320
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my daughters car last night and noticed the speedometer ticking. I noticed the trip odometer was set to 0 and trying to roll the 1st tenth.

I tried a few different resets on the reset switch, still stuck and clicking.

Any suggestions on a fix? Or am I in the demise position?

Thanks
Bruce

PS The odometer is still working and registering correctly.

·
Registered
86 300e Anke
1,252 Posts
Mine does this too... and it took 3 months of playing with it before it started 'running' again...
When you pull up to a light, push it (hold it in if you want), then release it QUICKLY!
It MIGHT catch properly then...

Just one of the myriad things on my 'to do' list! :(
:D

EDIT:
I wish they had all-digital replacements for these beasts!! VDOs are notorious, and seem to be worthy of their 'less-than-stellar' reputation.
:)

·
Registered
1993 300 CE Cabriolet
278 Posts
Yes, that should do it.

The problem is when one tries to reset the trip when the car is moving. I fiddled in the same manner and now I NEVER touch it again. I solved mine by trying to stop right after the click and then I thumbed it a couple of times and it worked. You may have different luck and i think it may depend on how many times it clicked before you get the gears to mesh again. Its a bummer for sure. Keep trying to spring it back into a meshed relationship.

·
Registered
86 300e Anke
1,252 Posts
Sorry... it may be ONE of the causes... but not ONLY.
I had mine doing fine 'for awhile'... then it suddenly decided NOT to work after a fuel-up and was like that for 3 months.

They are garbage. Pure & simple.
But at least it doesnt affect the MAIN odometer... lucky me! :D

·
Registered
91 560SEC Beryl/Palomino 91 420SEL Black Pearl/Mushroom 89 420SEL Ice Blue/Navy 88 420SEL 94 E320
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all!

I will continue than with my Voodoo rituals, and see if the tripping Odomy God will relent! LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts