Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a E320 that uses the plastic rotary switch on the left hand side of the steering wheel to switch between different headlight settings. Due to whoever's ingenius idea it was to put a plastic knob on top of a metal switch, the plastic has since worn away with time and now it just turns without actually TURNING the metal switch in the inside of the headlight switch box.

I currently am absent money without the means to buy a new switch, is there any work around for turning on/off the headlights on the car, wiring or otherwise.

NOTE: I have a degree in computer engineering and know my way around wiring and the what not, just have not been able to find the wiring diagrams to properly map out a way to hotwire/bypass it, etc.

Any help on this issue would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
1991 300E
601 Posts
I may be misunderstanding your question, but jamming a temporary replacement knob onto the switch would seem a simple solution. Radio Shack will have them.

Completing your profile would be helpful. It might enable someone to point you to a local parts garden.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may be misunderstanding your question, but jamming a temporary replacement knob onto the switch would seem a simple solution. Radio Shack will have them.

Completing your profile would be helpful. It might enable someone to point you to a local parts garden.
As I've stated above, I have no money. Not to get personal or anything but I don't want to be trolled.

I was laid off of my job 2 months ago, just finally signed a contract for a new salary position. I have just enough money to live off of till I get my first paycheck, nothing more.

It's electrical, there has to be a workaround for it. I've been unable to turn the knob with pliers or a gerber, is there anything I can do to hotwire this action internally?

·
Registered
89 300E; 00 E320
2,511 Posts
There's just a lot going on in that piece of plastic. The Fog and Rear Fog, Parking and headlights right hand and left hand standing light; not to mention that it's connected to the combination switch for the low and high beams. And the fact that it's not connected by a fuse as it is hot all times or with lamp switch in head or park position means that you can't just pull a fuse and turn it off.

I will be surprised if anything other than another switch will suffice.

-Headlamps 124-1

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,925 Posts
Scrap yard or Dave...

Any help on this issue would be great, thanks.
Try a scrap yard, or look for someone parting out a late model 124.

I changed out my light switch last summer, not hard if you have the replacement switch.

Before I started re-engineering the lighting system, I'd find a cheap used part, save you a lot of trouble in the end.

Here is one guy on the forums here who always has 124 parts, Dave Hendy from Conn.

Check him out, he could have a used one for a cheap price..

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sale-wanted-trade-giveaway/1449263-huge-124-parts-list.html

good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
You'll need to pull the exterior lamp switch from the dash, first.
Next, pry the plastic retaining cap from the rear of the switch. You should see the 9 to 13? wires (depending on model, year, etc.) that switch the circuits on/off for the various functions.
Look on the diagram from the above post and match the color coding to your ext. headlamps (sometimes they don't match so you may have to test (or experiment)).
Rig an under dash switch or whatever is convenient.
When you have the cash, find a local yard and replace the entire unit.

Note: No one is gonna troll you on these boards. Good luck in your new job.

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
I bought that plastic knob 8 years ago. It cost me $1.50 back then. It costs $4 now.

Compare that with a similar knob for my mom's 91 Sable, which cost $15.

·
Registered
1982 300D
182 Posts
Also, if there is a problem with the switch itself, the W202 C Class uses the same switch. Might have more luck finding one of those at the pick-n-pull, when you do have money.

Unfortunately, you can't just get a knob at Rat Shack, because the shaft on the switch isn't a standard shape (it's neither D nor splined). There's just no way you're going to get a zero-dollar solution to this particular problem, unless using pliers to turn your lights on works for you.
Either the knob is worn out and you have to buy a new one, or the switch is toast and you have to buy a new one. :/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts