Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Mercedes C280
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a puzzle that I need help solving. My C280 has twice refused to start after being driven long enough for the engine to reach full operating temperature and shut off for a short period (approx. 1 to 1-1/2 hours). Both times all lights, buzzers, the radio, all come up with no problem. When I try to engage the starter, I get nothing. The lights don't dim, the engine does not attempt to turn over, nothing. There's no clicking. The engine just does not attempt to start. Even after 2-3 hours it doesn't start. However on both occasions, once the engine has completely cooled, if fires right up and gives no problems for long periods afterwards. There's a brand new battery and alternator in the car.

I've seen postings that mention the crankshaft position sensor, but that seems to be cases where the motor turns over but doesn't fire up, or the engine stalls when it warms up. That isn't the case here.

Any ideas? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks

·
Registered
880 Posts
Monitor battery voltage while you're trying to start car. If the voltage drops below 8 volts, the hot engine could be placing a very heavy load on the starter.

If the voltage doesn't drop, could be the starter itself, ignition switch, starter relay.

Is it the original starter?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts