Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1994 C280
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,

Now that I have located the pre-wired CD connector in the trunk (thanks to Hawks for the direction), I have another question for those in this forum.

The pre-wired CD cable/connector is tie with all the other wires/cables. It is located in the trunk right above the rear wheel well by removing the panel on the passenger side of the trunk in front of the battery.

My question today is if anyone from the forum knows the model and part number of the original CD changer. I was told it could be Model MC3196NA - MB# 002 820 5989, but again it was not certain. It would be great if someone from here can confirm that for me. There is an ad selling a used unit locally but I wanted to make sure.

The other option is to purchase a new unit (Apline CHA-S630 or S645? or USA Spec) from Crutchfield.com. Could someone share your experience on installing one of these after martket CD changers in an early C280?

What are the pros and cons using the Apline-MBZ interface cable instead of a direct connection from factory connector? Thanks in advance [:)].

Tony
San Francisco, CA

·
Registered
1994 C280 1996 C36 2002 ML500
513 Posts
Unless you are getting a real deal on the changer I would get an Alpine unit. Since your car is a 94 it most likely has a Becker 1492. These radios did not have the handshake protocol that the 96 and later cars had. This means you can use the $15 adapter to make any M-Bus Alpine changer work. The 96 and later cars needed an elaborate adapter to mimick the handshake protocol and was closer to $90. The good news is that you can use the either MC9194 or MC3196NA but the "original" for the 94 would be the MC3194 or A002 820 4289. I have an alpine unit which I bought and ended up not using if you are interested...I'll make you a deal. BTW no con to using the adapter. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts