Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure could use some help on solving this...drivability problem and no codes.....94 500SL

As most of you know the 91-95 SL's (& perhaps others)have wiring harness(s) failure - check yours for cracks and breaks. It is a ridiculous and consistent problem. It will be brittle and fall apart in your hand leaving the bare wires to short out in the harness.
I replaced the main harness and also the crank sensor but this has not helped my problem.

Here's what's happening:

Car will start fine - could drive 1000 mi and no problem - ran great. Then next time it might run 2 miles - begin to "miss" or stumble - then it will get progressively worse and within about 1 minute it will cut off - no check engine light and no stored codes.
Now the car will start fine cold - but within 5-8 minutes at idle - it will do the above and cut off. When you try to restart the engine - it will only backfire occasionally throught the exhaust. Next AM it will start fine and repeat the failure. Can't drive the car at all now.

Any one else experienced this or have any ideas???

What a great car - but this problem has stumped us!

·
Registered
SL500
56 Posts
I have a '94 and haven't had any problems with the harness. My local dealer also was not a...

I have a '94 and haven't had any problems with the harness. My local dealer also was not aware of a generic problem with the harness. I'm wondering if this is an issue with the temps of where you life. Where are you located?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
94 SL

I live in SC - but know of several of these wiring harness failures. MB is aware of them too and once sent out a survey to its dealers to record and submit the failures on 1995 models. Did you actually inspect yours? Look under the loom that surrounds the injector harness. Also many have already been replaced - don't know how long you have had your SL.

At any rate the harness didn't sove my problem.

Hope someone else has had this happen and responds - Thx.

·
Registered
SL500
56 Posts
I live in Northern California, and this doesn't appear to be a problem. (I looked at my ca...

I live in Northern California, and this doesn't appear to be a problem. (I looked at my car and talked to the local dealer.) When I lived on the east coast (Atlanta and Boston) I found that wiring harnesses on my Volvos would dry rot as well. I was told that this was due to the big variance in temps. (Hot to freezing and vice versa)

Could you be having a problem with water in your gas?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts