Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Cabriolet (sold); 1992 500E; 1994 E320 wagon
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a 94 320 cabriolet at a dealership and was told by the salesguy that they have been doing the service on the car for years and did the wiring harness and head gasket for the previous owner. When I asked if they have records of this (not that I would ever disbelieve something a used car salesman would say), he stumbled a bit and said they could probably dig something up in their records. Does anyone have any thoughts on how likely it would be for a dealership/mechanic to not keep these kinds of records? What are the best ways to confirm whether these have been done without actually having the records?

Another question. The back of both front seats could be pushed forward to allow passage to the back seats without pressing the release buttons. The back of the seats didn't lock into place. I wondered if this was normal since it was he same on both seats but thought it was strange since why would there be a lock. Also, it could be dangerous if I have a sudden stop and the back of the seat swings forward.

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
If no verifiable paperwork, treat the dealer's comments as though they are flat out, bold faced lies, aimed at tricking some fool into believing the car is worth more than it is.

I could be wrong here, but, if you used that mental construct, you would be correct 99% of the time.

And if paperwork from dealer is from an out of business shop, it is not verifiable.

Don't waste your time with dealers.

·
Registered
1996, A124, E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
1,555 Posts
If it's an MB Dealership they will certainly have records but I believe the policy to see these is that they have to gain approval from the owner at the time of the repairs.

Re the seats, if the engine is running and the doors are closed the seats should lock.

·
Registered
1993 300 CE Cabriolet
278 Posts
Okay, then dig them up. If they have them, no worries. If not, check the harness yourself.

·
Registered
95 E300, 91 300TE, 84 190D
782 Posts
Is there some reason for not disclosing where you are located and the name of the dealer??

An MB dealer has all records on every vehicle serviced within the last 10 years period, and beyond that, very likely to have records. No excuse for a MB dealer not to have a history of a vehicle serviced at their location.

You can read the owner's manual for the car to confirm seat operation.

·
Registered
1996, A124, E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
1,555 Posts
Nice looking car! If they aren't an MB dealer they may not have the records.

Maybe just assume it hasn't been done and take out mechanical insurance for a couple of years if you are really concerned.

Seats will not lock if the engine is not running. The engine has to be running for them to lock.

·
Registered
95 E300, 91 300TE, 84 190D
782 Posts
There is a thread here about how to identify the manufacture date of the wiring harness, that info located on a tag on the harness near the battery. There are two dates on it- the design date and the manufacture date.

Someone remind me- if the manufacture date is newer than 1996, the harness is ok?

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
There have been rumors that replacement wiring was also made of the degradable insulation -- at least for a while, until the replacement stock was sold. As demand picked up, the later ones were made of conventional wiring.

I replaced mine ten years ago. The new wiring has beem in service as long as the old wiring. There is no evidence of degradation.

I think the problem disappeared for all MB cars after 1996.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts