Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'89 420SEL, '93 300E and '07 Hyu Santa Fe
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm ready to replace my stereo with New one but need help with existing Stereo removal. There is a nice tutorial on mercedesshop but that one is for pre 93 W124s'.

What i'm looking for DIY stereo removal tutorial with pics for 93 and newer w124.

Mine is 300E 2.8 with aftermarket stereo with bypassed factory amps and fader.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1987 300D Turbo (RIP), 1995 E420, 1993 400E
111 Posts
It is exactly the same, except for the fact that if you have the center console storage box, there are two screws located at the front corners, accessable from the inside only, that hold the box in place. Once you pull the box, the single center console wood trim screw will be visable. Remove the shifter trim gasket thing. Just pops right out. Be careful with the wood as the mirror switch can be stubborn, and if you flex the trim too much, the finish will crack. Remove the wood trim. Take the ashtray liner out. Push the little arrow thing to the right and it will slide right out. use a philips scre driver to undo the two screws at the back of the ashtray assembly, and lift the bugger out.

Pop the faceplate off of the radio using a coat hanger shaped like an "L" with about a 3/8inch section to it. Place the stubby 3/8 inch peice just inside the tape deck opening on the right hand lower side and give a firm pull. The plate is held on by the friction of the plug.

Now, notice that at the lower corners of the radio, there are tabs that hold the radio in place. You'll need to depress these, and using your hook tool, slide the entire unit out. Its tricky. I find it best to use the edge of the hook to depress the one on the right side, and my left hand pulling the left side tab down. once the tabs appead clear, pull pretty hard with the hook and the unit should clear the tabs, and you'll be able to use both hands to pull the unit clear of the dash. Be careful as the cables can be pretty short and well tangled back there.

I think there are 5 plugs, if you have the trunk mount CD player. They only go in one way. Unplug them all. The radio will then be out and free.

I've removed my radio several times due to a very loose plug that wiggles loose every once and a while. This last time, i finally fixed it and bought a new plug...

Hope this helps,

Aaron

·
Registered
97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
2,918 Posts
Pop the faceplate off of the radio using a coat hanger shaped like an "L" with about a 3/8inch section to it. Place the stubby 3/8 inch peice just inside the tape deck opening on the right hand lower side and give a firm pull. The plate is held on by the friction of the plug.

Aaron

Aaron,

I just want to confirm if the above procedure applies to a 94 E320 factory head unit. I remember doing it on a 92 300E. But, I want to be sure before I pull the face plate on my current 94.

TIA.
Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts