Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What next? Change head unit? Could it be a ground? The CD changer is slow to react also. It's the slim japanese made unit, not the huge becker one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm just curious what you paid to replace your bose amp? Was it new or used? I was told that they all go bad after about 10-14 years and if you purchased a used one, it maybe have been on it's way out too.

I had the exact same problem with the popping and cracking noises and ended up having my amp rebuilt by an outfit in Cape Canaveral Florida. It seemed to correct the problem and still works great after two years. Only paid about $400 for the rebuild.

Regards,
Rob

·
Registered
19 Posts
oh, forgot to mention......you may check with www.selectmotors.com to find a replacement CD player for your MB

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
1) was it new or did you get it used or E-Bay
2) I had a similar problem and they aso replaced a few capacitors in the tuner (which is what goes bad in the amp.
$460 was worth it in the local audio/Becker repair facility with a one year warranty.

·
Registered
92 400SE, 93 400E, 01 CLK320, 01 ML320, 98 Land Rover Discovery
196 Posts
Peter is right. The age of the Bose amp is critical when determining the life of the faulty capacitors. Over time, the capacitors can leak and become a problem even if the unit goes unused. It is best to purchase a Bose amp that has had the capacitors replaced recently.

My tuner also began experiencing problems. I took the unit apart and "reseated" the circuit boards and it has worked fine for over a year now. It appears the circuit boards in the tuner can encounter faulty contacts with age.

·
Registered
93 300SE, 07 BMW 328i Coupe, 01 GSX-R1000
945 Posts
I am having the same problem with my amplifier right now (for over half a year now :( ).

I have been too cheap to get it fixed :p Let me know what eventually fixes your problem :)

Regards,
Bryan

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced it with another used one, so perhaps it was bad also. Still got crack and popping when changing volume, but at least I got my left channels back.

My CD changer only plays disc in the 4th and 5th slot...go figure

·
Registered
196 Posts
I sent my 10 disc CD player back to Becker USA last week. Becker is charging me $200 for new belts and gears, etc. (a rebuild).

In the past, I have read forum posts, where a few members that are electronically proficient have replaced their own capacitors in Bose amps. I never opened mine up, but it is my understanding there are LOTs of capacitors in the Bose Amp..

·
Registered
945 Posts
rsmcmahon - 2/22/2005 3:10 PM

I sent my 10 disc CD player back to Becker USA last week. Becker is charging me $200 for new belts and gears, etc. (a rebuild).

In the past, I have read forum posts, where a few members that are electronically proficient have replaced their own capacitors in Bose amps. I never opened mine up, but it is my understanding there are LOTs of capacitors in the Bose Amp..
I have heard that there are LOTS of capacitors as well [:(] I would love to hear from someone who has actually attmpted to repair their own amp . . . Anyone out there?

Bryan

·
Registered
196 Posts
Becker North America 201-786-0311 you can speak with Ron or others in the service department.

·
Registered
196 Posts
http://zr1netregistry.com/Bose2.pdf

I found the below article on another forum... I've never tried the repair...

Detailed description of the repair of the individual channels of the Bose amplifier.

The drawing on the last page almost exactly represents 4 channels out of 7. The other 3 channels are different but I had no problems with them either. I replaced all electrolytic capacitors, 78 total.
My noise problem was intermittent and I have to wait to check my repair. So far amplifier works fine.
Next step is tuner/amplifier BE1532. I have 49 caps on order for it.
Here is one of the old capacitors with leak around the negative lead:

Your text hereYour text here

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
rsmcmahon - 2/22/2005 6:00 PM

http://zr1netregistry.com/Bose2.pdf

I found the below article on another forum... I've never tried the repair...

Detailed description of the repair of the individual channels of the Bose amplifier.

The drawing on the last page almost exactly represents 4 channels out of 7. The other 3 channels are different but I had no problems with them either. I replaced all electrolytic capacitors, 78 total.
My noise problem was intermittent and I have to wait to check my repair. So far amplifier works fine.
Next step is tuner/amplifier BE1532. I have 49 caps on order for it.
Here is one of the old capacitors with leak around the negative lead:

Your text hereYour text here
Hey Raymond,

I am confused . . . you said you haven't attempted the repair, and then in your bottom paragraph it sound you have done the repair. Was the bottom paragraph something that you are quoting?

I would love it if I could find someone who has done the repair, and could explain it and tell me whether or not it is way above my head.

Regards,
Bryan

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
Its not difficult if your are an electronics technician, trained on printed circuit repair. I have the training and education,(have not worked on the bench in years) and still paid someone to do it. The amp is full of modules, you need a solder removing "soldering iron" you have to watch the polarity of the capacitors that you take out, and solder them in without overheating the foil on the cicuit boards. I have been shown modules that ere completly destroyed when the "cap" shorted. These modules sit on a heat sink with "heat conducting paste" and lots of screws. Most repair facilities scavage partially destroyed amps to repair others. They showed me a box of useless modules. These capacitors dry out and break down with age, and are used in the tuner also. My repair shop replaced some in there too!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Bryan,
I should have clarified that the text associated with the article and picture I posted were relayed from another forum. It originally came from a Corvette site. The original link to the document/pdf was no longer available, but I was able to find a new link.

I sent my Bose amp out for repair to a company in Florida - I did not try the self repair. If I had found the documentation before sending the Bose amp out… I probable would have tired it! :) I have tired many DIY's that I'll never do again!

Russell
[:)]

·
Registered
945 Posts
rsmcmahon - 2/23/2005 9:27 AM

Bryan,
I should have clarified that the text associated with the article and picture I posted were relayed from another forum. It originally came from a Corvette site. The original link to the document/pdf was no longer available, but I was able to find a new link.

I sent my Bose amp out for repair to a company in Florida - I did not try the self repair. If I had found the documentation before sending the Bose amp out… I probable would have tired it! :) I have tired many DIY's that I'll never do again!

Russell
[:)]
Thanks Russel,

That makes more sense now. I like the DIY kind of repairs too, but I would hate to crew the whole thing up by messing up one of the gazillion caps (which I am sure it isn't hard to screw up).

I think I will look into getting mine rebuilt too. First I am going to see if someone locally can fix it at a local electronics shop, so that I don't have to worry about paying double customs and stuff to ship to the USA (I live in Canada).

Thanks for the help,
Bryan

PS Sorry about calling you Raymond . . . I was thinking of someone else that has helped me on the board, and my mind plays tricks on me [:I]

·
Registered
600SEL
1,083 Posts
I did this repair and it was my picture and message quoted. To me it was not a big deal at all, but I had experience working with PC boards. Also good soldering iron and unsoldering pump are needed. There are 78 capacitors in the Bose and all available for about $30 - 40 from Digikey.

Reg. Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
You would be a GOD on these forums if you posted some DIY instructions on how to fix the BOSE amps! Everyone here is paying $400-$500 to have these things repaired. I defintely have more patience than money . . .

I have soldering a mod chip onto my playstation circuit board before . . . would that be about the same level of difficulty as this?

I am VERY VERY interested in the list of caps and pictures! If you could email the info to bdonkersgoed(at)gmail(dot)com (I do this to prevent JunkMail) that would be incredible!

Thanks!!
Bryan

·
Registered
1993 500 SEL
27 Posts
hey guys, after reading this topic all of a sudden i've experience the cracking and poping sound from my speakers is this bad luck or wat, or should i say its a good timing. hhahahaha. but anyways after a couple of days this has been happening now i cant hear anything no radio no cassette or cd but the becker deck is fine does this mean its my amp too. im looking foward to change the becker deck and put in a flip dvd player but now i gotta worry about the sound. thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 29 Posts