Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1993 500GE
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I was playing with the EPC compact plus CD that I ordered from Germany. Put in my vin: WDB46322817090348 and pulled up my G.

In searching through this EPC info, I have come up with a few questions.

1. The badge on my G does not show 500GE, but G500. When I bought this the seller had two 93 for sale. One had 500GE on it, the other G500. Why not both 500GE?

2. There was one thing in my G, just above the inside head lamp that I could not figure out. I found it on the EPC. It is the infrared burglary system / closing system.

I found it by the picture. However the EPC says that this was not an option on my build model and won't give me any details on this system. How could it not be an option when it is in my G?

So, it appears that this works the remote door lock / unlock on the key ring. Does it do anything else?

As for the burglary system, the only thing I know about is a little round plate under the switch that I have to connect a round key on my key ring to so that I can start the engine. When I stop a light on the dash goes red and keeps anyone from starting the engine.

Is there any other type of burglary system, alarm on my G that I do not know about?

3. Final question. My remote lock/unlock key chain switches are both not working well and need to be replaced. Can anyone give me info on these and how to get new ones and program them.

Thank you again.

Alex.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Alex Guess - 4/30/2005 10:37 PM

1. The badge on my G does not show 500GE, but G500. When I bought this the seller had two 93 for sale. One had 500GE on it, the other G500. Why not both 500GE?
MB made the 93 model as a GE (grand edition). These particular models were supposed to be limited production number vehicles. It is my understanding that the G500 name came after the 1993 model year. Or I could be wrong and the fact that two models show up could be a dealer mistake.

2. There was one thing in my G, just above the inside head lamp that I could not figure out. I found it on the EPC. It is the infrared burglary system / closing system.

I found it by the picture. However the EPC says that this was not an option on my build model and won't give me any details on this system. How could it not be an option when it is in my G?
The previous owner installed it in himself?

As for the burglary system, the only thing I know about is a little round plate under the switch that I have to connect a round key on my key ring to so that I can start the engine. When I stop a light on the dash goes red and keeps anyone from starting the engine.
Sounds like an aftermarket add-on.

3. Final question. My remote lock/unlock key chain switches are both not working well and need to be replaced. Can anyone give me info on these and how to get new ones and program them.
Go to your MB parts department. As long as you show them a copy of your title, your insurance card and driver's license, they should be able to obtain new keys for you within a few days. Be warned, however, that it could be very pricey.

Other forum members asked the same question about replacement keys. If you run a G forum search containing the word "key", you should be able to find a thread on the whole subject. If not, maybe someone will give you the contact information of a cheaper key supplier.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
i don't know what differences there are between years, but my 2000 uses the infrared key as well, and it runs on batteries. Any chance you just need new batteries? I wouldn't be surprised at all, especially if they're never been replaced before.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Not True

BrentG500 - 5/1/2005 1:44 AM

Alex Guess - 4/30/2005 10:37 PM

MB made the 93 model as a GE (grand edition).
"Special model", not grand edition. Here's the quote from the DCAG Graz website:
The special model 500 GE (V8 engine with a performance of 241 HP) is presented in a limited number of 500 vehicles.
The GE designation was used on all gasoline engines, starting with the 280 GE, except for the early (1979-1981) 230 G. The GE stands for "Geländewagen Einspritz". "Einspritz" means "fuel injected" gasolne.

If your argument were true, there were a lot of "grand editions" made - 230 GE, 280 GE, 300 GE, 500 GE, etc. In the early to mid 90's MB switched the model designations and put the letter designation in front of the number (which generally indicates engine size in cc), as they did with the rest of their car line.

·
BenzWorld G Class Host
2002 800RMK
1,518 Posts
I suspect somebody just changed the badging to keep up with the the new models.

On the remotes, I would do as Erik suggested and try replacing the batteries in the remotes first. The replacement keys are about $100 if I recall correctly. Then accept that this is an old remote entry system. You must be standing right next to the truck and point the remote directly at the receiver by the rearview mirror to get it to work. Sounds like you have the factory system. Maybe it was standard, not an option? I don't know why they would list it that way. I assume the keys you have are the flip open style with the round button on one side. That would be a factory remote key from that era.

·
Registered
1993 500GE
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you.

Yes it is possible that it was re-badged by the prior owner. I think that I will see what the 500GE badge costs and change it back. It is a unique G, so I think it should have the correct badge. What do you think?

2. The Infrared closing system looks like it is from the factory,as it matches the EPC picture.

My Key is just a standard key, not a flip out key. The infrared closing system is a little square 2 inch by 1 inch box that is attached to my key chain. It has two grey buttons to lock / unlock the G.

The anti theft could be aftermarket, but it is tied into the dash cluster as that is where the light that turns red/green is located. I don't remember if both of the 500GE that were for sale had this.

On my key chain is a round button. Looks like a small battery like my HP calculator uses. I touch this to a small round base under the ignition switch, a green light appears inside the dash cluster and I can start the engine.

If you have EPC can you put in my VIN: WDB46322817090348 and see what you come up with on my G. I would like to know if your EPC shows the Infrared closing system / burglary system on this G.

New Question.

Has anyone changed the outboard temp indicator, part # 0005427127 so that it reads in "F" instead of 'C" since we are in the US? Do you know if this can be done?

Thank you for all of your help.

Alex.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Alex,

I have some rare stuff related to your 500GE:
Sales brochure printed with original 500GE metallic paint. It is a small folder with 6 individual photographs and spec sheets.

Sterling silver tie clips (in a leather pouch) given to prospective buyers
http://4x4abc.com/G-Class/500GEclip.html

Large silver plate that was only available with the car 371/500
http://4x4abc.com/G-Class/500GEzinn.html

Let me know if you are interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hi Alex,

One had 500GE on it, the other G500. Why not both 500GE?
Could have been updated to modern nomenclature as others have suggested. Also, it is possible and very commonly done in Germany to order new cars with no model designating signs or decals from the factory. Could have been ordered with nothing in the beginning and then the G500 added later. The part number for the 500GE sign is A 463 817 0015. It is no longer in the system.

If you want to see this on the EPC, please do the following:

Proceed to the diagram where you saw the part in question.
Click on "Information" on the toolbar.
Scroll down to and click on "Filter/Code".
You will see the Filter Menu pop up on your screen.
Click on the "Clear All" button and then hit "OK".
These filter commands tell the EPC to show only the things that were installed on your G.
Close the Filter Menu by clicking on the red X.
Now you can click on the part from the diagram you would like to view and the info will pop up, even if it does not pertain to your particular truck.

To reverse this, reopen the Filter Menu, click on default and then on OK.

Try the battery route first as others have suggested. If this is a no go, you'll need to get either an official MB dealer involved. DC has gotten very strict of late with keys and security issues.

hth,

-Sean Philyaw

·
Registered
500GE, G400cdi, G350td
1 Posts
500ge brochure with 6 pictures

Hi Alex,

I have a 500Ge and am collecting items for it, was wondering if you still have the 500ge brochure with pics, I can pay you by PAYPAL, if you still have any items relating to this model. I appreciate your help.

p.s I have tried to contact you through 4x4 abc about the silver engraved pics of the 500ge.

Regards

Gooch

Alex,

I have some rare stuff related to your 500GE:
Sales brochure printed with original 500GE metallic paint. It is a small folder with 6 individual photographs and spec sheets.

Sterling silver tie clips (in a leather pouch) given to prospective buyers
http://4x4abc.com/G-Class/500GEclip.html

Large silver plate that was only available with the car 371/500
http://4x4abc.com/G-Class/500GEzinn.html

Let me know if you are interested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts