Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to start my 93 500 SL after fixing a brake line leak and replacing the charcoal filter lines while I was behind the splash panel. It cranked but didn't start and then the starter kept running, not engaged. Turned off ignition and the starter continued to whirl. Turned ignition back on and it will not engage, just keeps spinning. Had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. Is this a relay issue or a bad starter? Or is it something more sinister?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1992 Mercedes 300SL R129. 94 S320 Mercedes w140
61 Posts
Just for grins, try charging the battery. If it is low the starter will spin slow and possibly not engage/disengage and can keep going. When I was a service tech I would see this on different cars It was rare but it happened. And what the heck, it free to check.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just for grins, try charging the battery. If it is low the starter will spin slow and possibly not engage/disengage and can keep going. When I was a service tech I would see this on different cars It was rare but it happened. And what the heck, it free to check.
Thank you, have it on the charger now. Beats ripping out the starter at this point.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2003 SL500, 2003 SL55, and four R129s
4,323 Posts
If it runs on only with the shifter in Park or Neutral, then I would suspect the ignition switch as Rob mentioned; otherwise, I think this problem would have to be a stuck starter solenoid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it runs on only with the shifter in Park or Neutral, then I would suspect the ignition switch as Rob mentioned; otherwise, I think this problem would have to be a stuck starter solenoid.
Thank you. Charging didn’t work so now I will check the ignition. Is there a good way to check the switch without pulling it out. The replacement process looks pretty involved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled ignition switch and disconnected it, hooked battery back up and it still runs. Makes me think it is the starter. Going to replace it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts