Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1993 300e
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello m.b owners,
i'm a rookie to this site so please show some love to a confused buyer.
i'm looking at a 93 400 sel 121,00 miles car fax came back good one owner. car sold at aution & purchased by one of the largest auto dealers in fla.
buying via internet found out yesterday that cars odometer stopped working unsure of when.carfax confirms car sold at 121,00 miles to auction dealer in late 2002 but dosen't know how many miles since then. carfax also stated that in 2000 car had 81,000 miles on it. ? would this add up to 121,00-125,000 miles.
part#2 car has no records inside vehicle sales rep went to car to inspect but found no books should i pursue ant further or look for another car.
car checked clean he on the inside very good conditon.
yes i"ve seen pix, it was confirmed. saleman also pointed out small knick in leather on rear seat close to the floor.

price is good for all the issues stated upon, was 10,000 talked down to 8500 should i move on it.
yes a/c works.

vehicle is beautiful as all w140's are.

please help bank called would finance if i wanted it but wants car taken to loacl branch in fla to confirm
i live about 500 miles away so i can't do this saleman will take it there if i want it need help bad.
will pick car up next week if you guys say go for it.

· Registered
W140 S class, E31 850Ci, XC90 Exec AWD geartronic
444 Posts
nice car yes, nice price yes - I doubt it would have done many more miles than the confirm...

nice car yes, nice price yes - I doubt it would have done many more miles than the confirmed mileage in 2002. The true mileage can be retrieved from the engine management computer from any Benz dealer.

I am not sure how much these vehicles fetch in your part of the world. I would try and go for a 1994+ model because all W140's during and after this year had a facelift. 1994+ models have revised rear lights, front indicators, revised trunk lid, different side mouldings,front and rear bumpers and are badged S420. This is a $2000 upgrade if you want the 1993 model to look newer. If you are happy with it being the 'older' shape then by all means dont let this put you off.

Its worth checking the ZF pump operates 100% (both if your car has two - there is one under the rear seat and one aux pump in the trunk) and the ignition leads. These have a tendancy to fail with a W140 this age. Like the AC you've already had checked, these are expensive fixes. Check the rear glass has no breakup in the lamination - very common problem with benz's (can be easily seen as white smokey edges to the glass) and that all the rear heating elements work. Have the transmission vacuum pressures tested. If the tranny's already had an overhaul recently then its not necessary.

If you really want to go for the car, I would spend some money on a warrantee.

Good luck with your choice, and remember if you dont decide to go for it, there WILL be another.
[:)]

· Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,885 Posts

I keep on echoing Gill, just because the AC works today will it tommorrow, has it been replaced/repaired that is a $3000 experience. The Bose AMP is $600. The closing assist is $900, There are other non common items that come under maintenance, are you buying this car from a dealer or a private party? Is the spedometer going to be fixed...complete warranty not just drive train or engine wiil make a lot of sense.

· Registered
Current: '14 S550, '99 S500, '10 Prius; Previous: '93 400SEL, '98 Corolla
105 Posts
The price seems very good, but you have to factor in all the expenses you need to bring it back into excellent condition. I bought a 400SEL last year and paid several thousand dollars more than you did. Of course, it was in excellent condition (129K miles when I bought it) and looks as good as new both inside and outside....I have had it for about 8 months now and it drives like a dream zzzz

hello m.b owners,
i'm looking at a 93 400 sel 121,00 miles car fax came back good one owner. car sold at aution & purchased by one of the largest auto dealers in fla.
buying via internet found out yesterday that cars odometer stopped working unsure of when.carfax confirms car sold at 121,00 miles to auction dealer in late 2002 but dosen't know how many miles since then. carfax also stated that in 2000 car had 81,000 miles on it. ? would this add up to 121,00-125,000 miles.
part#2 car has no records inside vehicle sales rep went to car to inspect but found no books should i pursue ant further or look for another car.
yes i"ve seen pix, it was confirmed. saleman also pointed out small knick in leather on rear seat close to the floor.

price is good for all the issues stated upon, was 10,000 talked down to 8500 should i move on it.
yes a/c works.

please help bank called would finance if i wanted it but wants car taken to loacl branch in fla to confirm
i live about 500 miles away so i can't do this saleman will take it there if i want it need help bad.

· Registered
1993 300e
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Re: 93 400 sel carfax o.k but odometer stop working ,also no books in car

The price seems very good, but you have to factor in all the expenses you need to bring it back into excellent condition. I bought a 400SEL last year and paid several thousand dollars more than you did. Of course, it was in excellent condition (129K miles when I bought it) and looks as good as new both inside and outside....I have had it for about 8 months now and it drives like a dream zzzz

hello m.b owners,

yes a/c works.

thanks guys for the info really helped.
it was at a dealer, the price scared me off, i think it's a right of passage to pay more than 10,000 for a s-class mercedes the first time a person buys one,if i try to back door my way into your exclusive club i might get fined.
dealer sold car to someone else after i backed off.
like a post stated early in this thread, there will be others.
internet dealings are not as easy as they say, especally if your dealing with saleman who feel the pressure to take the money now.
thanks again but you'll here more from me.
i'll look for 93-96 s-class, talk says 95 or 96 best of class, not sure of this, but you benz kings will tell me.

· Registered
86 560SEL
1,334 Posts
I have a 95 S500 coupe. Is it the best made? I cannot confirm that. Because without the...

I have a 95 S500 coupe. Is it the best made? I cannot confirm that. Because without the extended warrantee I bought when I bought the car, I would have to endure over 7,000 bucks of repairs. After that, it runs flawless, so far so good. Let's hope it continue to be so. Good luck in your search.

· Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,885 Posts
140 issues

The car is alike a mistress, can cost you a lot, but can be fun (not talking from experience) I have a 92 500 SEL that we purchased in 94. My wife loves it, I did get a lot of warranty work in before it lapsed, I always have it serviced at MB, and most of the time I dont get hosed too bad. They fixed the AC and got the factory to absorb the parts, the BOSE amp they sent me to their rebuider, the second vacum assist they had the factory absorb, all the other stuff I paid for, am I dollars ahead I dont know. There are alot of people who just shop for best price, independent to dealer. My best friend is a foreign repair shop owner, he complains about getting any info to repair these cars. I still have the vibration issue, but it is a great car, shop wisely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.