Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Pinto
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 93 300E is in the shop right now withvarious issues, the most expensive of which is shorted out auxiliary fan(s). I'm told to get them off and diagnose the problem the radiator and AC compressor have to be pulled. Then they would either replace or repair the fans, recharge the AC etc.. All told this could cost over $800! Would it be possible to take the fans off from the front and just wire new ones to a switch that I can manually turn on when running the AC? This damn car is costing me more in repairs than I paid for it!

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,684 Posts
Get the car away from the shop. You can R/R the aux. fans without disconnecting the AC condenser. It is also possible to adapt your own on/off switch. Granted, removal of the fans isn't a 15min. job, but if you know your way around tools and study the layout, it can be done.

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
2003 W220 S55 AMG 2011 & Camaro RS/SS Convertible & 2011 H/D WideGlide
78 Posts
Im with Jayare, your getting hosed!
Ive done this operation many times in my career and can do it with my eyes closed.
Find a seasoned benz wrench in your market area and start over.......

RdKing.

·
Registered
72 Pinto
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback! I have no intention of having the shop do the work, it's just too much money. I'll be picking it up today and start digging in to it this weekend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts