Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Hoping I can get more feedback here.

Have a problem with my 92MB500E. While I was driving on the freeway (I-92W approaching the San Mateo bridge) the other day, the car suddenly went on high rpm and seemed to have shifted to a lower gear. I stopped on the side of the viaduct and when I tried to move again, it won't shift to higher gears. Looks like the tranny is stuck on 1st gear (Changed the chip about 8 years ago). BTW, the car has about 140k and the wiring harness has been changed.

Fluids are OK and so is the kickdown cable and linkages.

I had to be towed to the shop. The funny thing was that there was no CEL.

Any ideas? Would appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Just had same issue with my wagon. My governor gear sheared. It was my doing since I did not lock the axial support, but same symptoms as you nonetheless. Take a look into it.

Here:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/1619481-my-300te-has-lost-all-gears.html

The way it was explained to me is that the governor does what its name implies -- it governs the shifting. So your issue is most likely something to do with the governor gear or the valve.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
The engine has to be at temperature before it is allowed to shift (unless your chip reprogrammed that). One possibility is that the CAN isn't sensing the correct temperature. It probably wouldn't throw a CEL if this happened.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts