Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1983 240D
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CD changer is model number: MX3192. I have tried to burn a few TDK CDs but they wont load. i did it in normal cd audio NOT mp3 or wav. anyone know of another brand that will? or is this sometype of security thing and no burned disc will play.

i usually use my ipod but, the casset deck works fine, but the cord gets stuck if i put a cassette adapter in it. any ideas on customizing the center console to put in an AUX jack or and Ipod dock? would i have to change my radio or will it work with the original one?

·
Registered
1983 240D
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
boooo!

nevermind...accoring to he mercedes parts/ service guy they dont play burned disc period. even if i were to get the oldest model that would be compatable, its still slim to none. owell any ideas how to get my ipod to hook up my system with out the cassette adapter?

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
i have had a similar issue i found out if i burn on a slow speed with itunes it works. and thats why you will see alot of w140s with alpine cd changers.

·
Registered
1983 240D
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have had a similar issue i found out if i burn on a slow speed with itunes it works. and thats why you will see alot of w140s with alpine cd changers.
would i have to change my face or just the 6 disc changer if i went with alpine?
ill try burning on a slower speed but my PCs pretty slow anyways so dont honestly know if thatl work, but worth a shot thanks!

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
would i have to change my face or just the 6 disc changer if i went with alpine?
ill try burning on a slower speed but my PCs pretty slow anyways so dont honestly know if thatl work, but worth a shot thanks!
the alpine ones need a converter(its either a small black colored box or blue wire adapter they are $30 in some audio shops but its getting harder to find)

and the changer is Alpine CHM-S630. i recently installed one in a 98 e320 for my friend's dad. very simple install.

the hardest part was looking for the adapter it took a full day. as for the install it was only 5 minutes but he didn't have a bracket so we velcroed the changer to trunk mat.

but try to burn on slow setting sometimes that works, it worked for my w140

·
Registered
1983 240D
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i tried it at 2x burn and it played but was staticky. i tried again at 1x lol and it wouldn't even burn. ima try a few more times and see if i can find my sweet spot. maybe 3x or 5x?

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I sent my head unit and receiver (in the boot/trunk) off to Becker Autosound in the US (Becker Autosound Website) to get them refurbished and to have an aux-in installed so that my daughter could use her iPod. This was expensive, about $300 plus shipping (almost $200 here to Oz :eek:).

There are also threads here that show where to solder in the wires to DIY. This one by nubyOz is probably the best. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1588516-converting-becker-1432-play-mp3-ipod.html

The Becker Autosound mod is a little more sophisticated as it doesn't interfere with the tape function. If nothing is plugged into the aux-in then the tape functions as normal, but once a plug is inserted it overrides the tape.

I found that the output of the iPod (and my Samsung phone) was too weak to allow undistorted playback so I added a small pre-amp that fixed it. That cost $20. Any headphone amplifier will do the job.

Personally, I'd rather get my CD stacker to work as I can't be bothered fiddling with a complex user interface while driving. I tried mounting my phone on a bracket but it just annoyed me. But as a passenger, my daughter likes being able to control everything from her iPod so it was worth the expense.

Now all I have to do is wire it up permanently in a way that doesn't disfigure the interior. Right now it's mess of cables on the floor.

·
Registered
'14 E350, '07 CLK350, '01 SLK320
1,148 Posts
My experience is that you have to burn the CD in DAO (Disk At Once) mode. Most of the pc-based burners burn the music track by track and the stock CD player doesn't know how to read them correctly.

·
Registered
1983 240D
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
went up to 4x, 6x, and 8x. none worked at all, owell guess the guy was right, they wont play off a stock cd changer at all!

tlampre-
that link is probly the best but i have no idea what the heck he was talking about, i could take apart my radio but thatd be about the extent of my electrical skillz, wont even try it i know ill brakes something or fry everything.
Your an awesome parent too do something like that for your daughter. it seems so random and unimportant but it was to her thats dope man.

bobs- i dont have anything else but a pc thats able to burn(somehow broke the discdrive in my mac, even tho they fixed it,,, it stills broke) is there a way to switch my pc based burner to DAO? i have winamp,itunes, and id most likely be willing to try other programs, i like music and itunes sucks keeping them organized, but thats a different site

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
You may be able to do the equivalent of DAO if your burning software can create ISO file images in audio disc format. Then you just burn the ISO to the actual CD. I've used TDK discs and found them the best for this. A previous car (not W140) refused to play cheaper disks that worked fine for just data on the PC. Even the TDK's would take a couple of tries before they worked right.

And, these are CD-R disks, right? CD-RW give nothing but trouble for audio playback.

My player won't even play the original discs. The head unit says they are loaded but no sound comes out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts