Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 500sl R129, the car was sitting for about 2 years and I recently replaced a lot of things before starting her up again that I knew needed replacing. I also replaced the front suspension "spheres" that connect to the hydraulic auto leveling suspension, I think it's called ASR or something like that?

The car has always had issues with the front sitting too low, so after all the work i start her up and everything is working fine except for the suspension. The front is sitting as low as it possibly can, I let the car run for a good 1 hour thinking it might bleed the air out, i tried to bleed it at the pump and at the front spheres. Still no luck.

A few things to note:

* pump is working, bleeding at the pump results in lots of fluid coming out and onto the ground. Doesnt shoot out with high pressure though, more like "burps".

* When attempting to bleed at the spheres, i get almost no fluid, just a tiny bit comes out and thats it, then no more than drip drip drip

* The return line to the reservoir looks like nothing is coming out of it. I might be wrong, but isnt the return line supposed to constantly have something coming out of it back into the reservoir?

Any suggestions? Any links or writeups that might help?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Bleeding these systems is a mystery to me. I thought I knew how, and I also thought my mechanic knew how, but then mine hasn't been right since replacing the spheres either. It sits too low in the back sometimes, and is very "lurchy" and "bouncy", despite having 4 new spheres. I also suspect mine has air in it, and just like you, I am mystified about how to fix it. We followed the bleed procedures, or at least the ones we knew about anyway. Although someone else told me I may have a damaged damper?

Anyway, I wish I knew what to tell you. The dealer is the only one who knows anything about this setup, I may wind up getting bit in the wallet and having to go in there. Ugh.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I seem to be having a similar problem.... I noticed i was leaking fluid near the front left of the car... I was running the car yesterday and now noticed that the ADS malfuction light is lit, and I did cycle the steering seeing if it would clear and it did not...

Is there a pump near the front for the ADS system ? or a hose?

Thanks in advance for the advice !

Henry

·
Registered
34 Posts
I seem to be having a similar problem.... I noticed i was leaking fluid near the front left of the car... I was running the car yesterday and now noticed that the ADS malfuction light is lit, and I did cycle the steering seeing if it would clear and it did not...

Is there a pump near the front for the ADS system ? or a hose?

Thanks in advance for the advice !

Henry
These cars have a tandem hydraulic pump. One half for steering, the other half for ADS. In addittion, the front and rear sway bars are attached to proportioning valves which control the height by directing hydraulic fluid according to the suspension position.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree, that's why I'm reading it. It's just funny when you read it and it appears that the conversation is just going back and forth, but over 10 years has passed. Wonder where the car is now....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts