Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

92 400se does it have the same early flaws as the 300se

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Peter Guenther 
#1 ·
experts,

the 92 400se i'm looking at one with 70,000 miles on is in very good condition.what problem should i look for. does the radio,head gasket problem exist. i know about the a/c problem which occurs at about 100,000 miles. any thing else?
it was only in production for one year, then became 400sel/420s.
price 12,500

thanks for input

#2 ·
My brother got the first production year 1991 500SEL and he hasn't had any major problems ...

My brother got the first production year 1991 500SEL and he hasn't had any major problems other than normal wear and tear on his. My guess is it's all pretty much depending on your luck much like picking the right watermelon that taste good. My brother uses his car mostly on the highway to the golf court, otherwise, he uses his BMW M3 most of the time.

#3 ·
140 body

I have an early 500sel, and every problem ever posted on this forum has appeared. I have gone tru the A/C rebuild, the BOSE amp, the closing pump twice, and MB spent all kinds of time on the vibration issue while under warranty. My wife loves the car, every time I want to get rid of it I get objections. It costs me $1500 a year on the average on maintenance it now has 72,000 miles and it is going in for lower bushings, I consider the suspension item (spheres) normal, plugs and caps, and belts and tensioners normal. It has gone thru window regulators, and some hoses.. make your own call.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.