Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A little background about me first. I work at an Alfa Romeo parts company and I've been working on cars since before I could drive. Engine swaps, 5 speed conversions, etc, I'd like to think that I am a fairly hardcore do it yourself-er.

That said, I'm looking at a 1992 400E with about 175k miles and I am wondering what you guys would consider problem areas. What should I be looking at as far as model specific problems? I plan on doing my own work on the car, but since I have never owned a Mercedes, I am a bit intimidated. How DIY friendly are these cars? Any advice would be great!

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
There's such a thing as an Alfa Romeo parts company? Learn something every day. Sounds like a great car for you, quite easy to work on, very logical, lots of DIY info. Just keep the timing chain in good working order.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, yes! There are still quite a few Alfa enthusiasts out there, though they seem to be dying off... literally.

Centerline Alfa Romeo (888) 750-ALFA

These cars have the same timing chain issues as the W126 cars? I guess that's not a horrible thing... as long as it doesn't break on the way from AZ back to CO!

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I'd say the 119 timing chains are considerably stronger than the 126s, but it's still a long V8 timing chain. It's of course a double row chain not prone to snap but the upper guides, made of plastic, have a tendancy to break apart with age and miles. This can result in a jumped tooth or worse. If you don't know the history of it it's a good thing idea to check it out relatively soon. Where in AZ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
These are great things to hear guys. I feel the same way about working on my Bimmers, they are incredibly well designed and very easy to work on. I'm feeling pretty confident that this is a good choice!

The car is in Tucson, so the drive back to denver should probably be around 14 to 15 hours... I'm taking a friend so that we can do it in one shot.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
you'll love the 400E. have you bought it yet? fwiw, the 1992 model had 268hp and the 1993 model had 275hp; i've only driven a 1993, so i don't know if you can tell the difference. probably not, especially after 175k miles on the engine. either way, it's a blast to drive, especially on the highway :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts