Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month my alternator ended up over charging my battery which caused my battery to nearly explode while I was cruising on the highway. So I replaced my alternator, the OVP relay, and battery and the car fired right up and I checked the voltage and the battery is properly being charged. Now the problem I’m having is as a result of my battery nearly exploding, my blower motor doesn’t work any more (rear defroster, rear windshield wiper work), power driver seat doesn’t work anymore(passenger side still works), the fasten seatbelt light stays on and will drain the battery, and the auxiliary fans are constantly running from the moment I turn the ignition on. I’ve checked all the fuses, I’ve swapped the aux fan relays with extras I have with no luck. I’ve checked the wiring junction or terminal block related to fuse C to trace any shorts but I’m pretty stumped. Any input would be appreciated! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,695 Posts
The overcharging was caused by a faulty voltage regulator. I hope you only replaced the regulator, and not the complete alternator.

8 out of 10 times the alternator and starter get replaced for absolutely no good reason when all that is needed is a voltage regulator in case of the alternator.

As for the blower, have you replaced the blower strip fuse? It is located inside the little pill box on the strut tower. Doesn't matter if still looks "OK", just do it. Ditto on all the torpedo fuses with the updated copper core ceramic type such as those made by Flosser

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the car a year ago and the first thing I replaced was the voltage regulator since the battery wasn’t charging and it was running rough. Everything was fine until last month.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ll check all my fuses but I’ll recheck them again. And the fuses for the blower motor in the pillbox I’ll have to check those too.

·
Registered
16,695 Posts
In the case of fuses, forget just "checking them". If in doubt, throw them out since they corrode/develop microfissures and cause all sorts of electrical gremlins.

A new set of Flosser fuses is cheap as chips.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ll just replace them, I have a bunch of brand new flosser fuses actually.

·
Premium Member
10,096 Posts
You can't just keep throwing in regulators. At some point the commutator has to be dressed or the carbon brushes will wear unevenly. So when you pull out your last regulator, one brush will be long and one brush will be much shorter. The complete kits to rebuild the Bosch alts are almost a thing of the past. You can go with a direct fit 100 amp alt (new) of a different brand and be ahead of the game. All the Bosch alts you see online for this car are remans.

Kevin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can't just keep throwing in regulators. At some point the commutator has to be dressed or the carbon brushes will wear unevenly. So when you pull out your last regulator, one brush will be long and one brush will be much shorter. The complete kits to rebuild the Bosch alts are almost a thing of the past. You can go with a direct fit 100 amp alt (new) of a different brand and be ahead of the game. All the Bosch alts you see online for this car are remans.

Kevin
Right, I replaced the VR when I purchased the car last year and had no problems with charging what so ever. So i replaced the alternator once I officially determined overcharging was the issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
Karl Bittner
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing