Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1992 300TE 4Matic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok there's one born every minute.
The neighbor had a beautiful '92 300TE 4Matic that I always coveted, and when he stopped driving it I asked why? Turned out that he needed front axles. I helped him put in one and told him that if he ever wanted to sell, to let me know. The short story is that I finally bought the car with 170K on the clock. There was an intermittent shake in the front end that was terrifying but once I replaced the other axle it went away. By the way the people at CVJ Axles were very reasonable and great to work with.
The first time that I drove it I noticed that it did a little hop when backing up like my truck does when the 4WD is engaged. I rationalized that as being related to the remaining trashed axle. Apparently not, as it still does the hop and skip and jump in reverse and sometime in drive. Today the 4Matic trouble light came on too for the first time.
Today is also the first time that I read this forum and realize that this car has a legacy of 4Matic issues. The car is in otherwise great condition and if it was only 2 wheel drive I would still have been as attracted. The price was right in my book - $1650 with a second set of wheels, 18" AMG alloys that will be beautiful in the summer.
I learned that the 4Matic uses the same oil as the suspension and I think that I have a suspension leak somewhere in the back of the car - there's drips out back.
Where do I begin? Is the smart answer just to find and fix the leak, switch to 2WD until it snows and then go back to 4 wheel?
I bought the Owner's Workshop Manual for Mercedes 124 published by Brookland's books and there is no mention of 4Matic in it. Obviously I bought the wrong manual. I'm entertaining suggestions for the "best" shop manual too.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Welcome to the forum Amanaland.

MB calls your car a W124 and there is a dedicated section for those. Just scroll down the main page and look for the sedans. Your odds are higher of getting the attention of other actual owners there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
The 4matic rear suspension isn't any different than the 2WD versions, the difference being you have a wagon which has self-leveling suspension.

The self-leveling suspension has things that look like shock absorbers but aren't--they are leveling strut that sell for $7-800 each and are NOT replaced in pairs "just because."

The shock absorber function is served by "accumulators," which are round balls buried somewhere under your rear floor. These are usually the first-to-fail part of the system.

·
Registered
1992 300TE 4Matic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
'92 300TEMatic A Hop, A Skip and A Jump

sorry guys, I saw that there was a more specific forum after my post and didn't know how to move it. I just repeated my post in the W124 section.

I'll look for the accumulator balls, that may be the leak I saw. It looks like there are panels covering the underbody that will need to be removed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts