Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300se
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just got a 300se and am ready to rework the entire audio system. I was planning on going with Alpine head unit however, I was not sure on what speaker sizes are in the doors.

I think in the front I would use JL 3 way systems with...
6.5 in woofer (door)
4 in. mid(door)
1 in tweeter (dash)
all in the stock locations

In the rear door I would use the 4 inch component

The place I have the most questions about is the rear deck. What size are those speakers back their?

Also depth wise do you think this system would work or if another brand would be a better choice such as mb quart.

And last question. just out of curiosity, does the stock headunit have an internal amp? if so, how much.

Thank you
~BeGuM~

·
Registered
Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
1,063 Posts
The best today is the Pioneer:

http://www.xmradio.com/xmnavtraffic/solution_availability.jsp

These things will nearly wash dishes for you.

·
Registered
1999 S600 W140 and 2002 S55 AMG W220, (previous: 1989 560SEL and 1995 / 1996 S500)
4,220 Posts
cool. Post picks in the w140 forum when your done

·
Registered
2002 S500, `94 S350D, 93 300SD
16 Posts
I`m not sure what you know about these systems, but i don`t advise you to change the speakers. They were VERY good speakers when Mercedes Benz installed them in the W140 body style vehicles starting with 1991.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
I would research your project, the stock system is eleven speakers 2each front door, one each back door, four on the package deck, one tweeter behind the rear view mirror seven channel amp, some speakers are 2 ohm wired in parrallel.
The front is only a Control w/cassette player, the tuner is at the base of the rear wheel, and the "bose amp" sits on top of the drivers side rear wheel next to the gas tank. The outboard dash speakers are for CTEL only (mono). The balance is via console wheel control acting on the bose. There is no antenna lead to the front section the control lead to tuner is via a large din thru the CD if you have it. The speakers are in enclosures and the gas tank sits behind the rear seat and slightly forward of the package tray. The wires are in "sill" looms, the carpet is preformed and seats are a bitch to get out, the door panels are tricky because of the seat controls.
I hope you have a spare car while you gut the interior, do you know how to get the dash/console/kick panels out, and the rear seat back ?This could be an experience due to hidden and fragile fasteners

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I wouldnt mess with it. If audio quality is really bad you could have a BOSE amp in need of repair.

This is one car audio system where it surpasses aftermarket products especially for 1992!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts