Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ML350, 2013 C300 4MATIC
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had the transfer case in my '91 TE replaced with a used unit. Everything went well until it came time to erase the stored 4Matic codes to turn off the 4Matic light on the dash. I can't seem to read or erase the codes. When I ground pins 1 and 5 the 4Matic light gets brighter then dims when the pins are ungrounded.

After searching the forum I took a flyer and replaced the OVP just in case. One thread mentioned that over a periiod of time the 4matic ecm can lose memory and needs rebooted but I cannot find any info on rebooting the 4matic brain. Anyone one how to do this? Any other thoughts? Thabks guys.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any thoughts, ideas or guesses on rebooting the 4matic ecm or clearing codes. I've tried disconnecting the battery and jumping pins 1-5.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,394 Posts
Sorry no help from here...but I'm very interested in this one. We should start a clearing house of successful fixes (by links) of the 4matic system.:rolleyes:

BTW did your used, replacement TC unit have the steel piston, i.e., the rebuild sticker still on it? Did you do it, or an indie?

Kevin

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The T case is a rebuild Kevin, installed by my trusted Indie. At least I'm not adding fluid every 3 days. A '95 wagon with traction control is sounding better all the time.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,394 Posts
I feel your pain, bro. Were you guys able to establish how many miles on the rebuild TC? I think that lots of people got the rebuild, had more trouble like within 5K miles and then bailed. It's unlikely then, that a new owner dumped more money into the system; especially if he found out a rebuild was put in there before... My point being that there should be a fair number of low mileage rebuilds out there...if only you could verify. In a pick 'n pull, probably not.

Anyway, you're almost there, don't bail now!! Check out peachparts for info on the 4matic 'puter.....they're way more technically oriented than here. You're closer than I am, with that 'mythical' transducer I "bought", floating around the world somewhere.:eek: I think the bleed procedure I have came from peachparts......

Wow...a rebuilt TC...:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts