Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1991 560 SEC
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car is located in Newport Beach-Costa Mesa right now.

My father, the owner of this vehicle, has been hospitalized and won't be driving again, ever. The car is going to be sold. But, we aren't sure what we have here.

I finally got possession of the car (and the title) last week and it has been moved from his parking lot to a performance shop run by a friend of his. Ed was big into "cars and coffee" in Irvine. Maybe you've even seen this car before.

In researching everything he owns and figuring where he keeps it or filed it, I came across the log in info for this forum. I am a moderator for a similar forum for a limited production motorcycle, so I have some respect for the model-marque enthusiasts and the "amazing opportunity" that sometimes presents itself on these communities.

I took some photos while there last week. We want to sell it and ask a reasonable price for his sake and the buyer's.

We are hoping you can help describe the car in these photos to us. Other than the model, gray leather interior, hardtop sunroof, 98,7XX miles, what else can you tell us about it, from the photos? On this forum he was shopping for 16" rims and elsewhere on the web he was discussing Euro lights? Do you see these on the car now?

What about price range? It is hard for us to shop for comparables online. Before we can list it, we are asking for your experience in establishing a general range that will help us avoid undervaluing this vehicle and assuring it gets a decent price and both seller and buyer are happy with the deal.

Did I mention, he is fanatical over the care and condition of his vehicles? It's in perfect condition, as far as we know.

Thanks for all your help; I am sure you can imagine the difficulty in doing this type of task for someone else's beloved ride.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
560SEC, 190E, Frontier, 240Z
1,329 Posts
Euro headlights and clear corners front and back. I think.
Looks beautiful.

I hope it goes to somebody that will care for it as your Father did and would want.
Perhaps a trusted member here can help with the sale.

I suppose it is worth $5k to $10k?
More importantly, priceless to the right enthusiast.

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '98 SL500
1,977 Posts
Beautiful car...easily worth $8K-$8.5K and yes it has the very sought after Euro headlight conversion.

In April of the this year I paid $6500 for my '91 560SEC with 155K on the odo and it is no way as nice as your Dad's.

Sorry to hear about his turn in health. Getting old sucks!
Yasin

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
Sorry to hear about your father's health, it must be tough for the rest of your family, too.

What members have posted seems to be in line with current sale pricing. I would think a car in its shape would be in the $8-10K range. The car is mostly stock, except for the Euro headlights (a plus), clear corner and tail light lenses, and burlwood shift knob. These little upgrades do not degrade the car's value, in fact the headlights is a sought-after upgrade for US spec cars.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,340 Posts
great looking car, do u know what your dads screename was on this forum

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
If you post or PM the VIN, one of us will run it on the Russian decoder site and it will list all of the equipment on it as it left the factory, which may yield some hidden value.

·
Registered
1991 560 SEC
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm in Montana and my sister is in Indiana, but lucky me; a friend had scanned the insurance card, along with everything else in his wallet:

VIN WDBCA45E7MA592095

I wanted to follow protocol and not just list it without having some idea how to describe it.

Definitely, please, network that this car is on the market NOW, and we are willing to work with the buyer to get this a good home. I will put it on the Classifieds as soon as we get the info regarding the VIN decoder from you here.

It can be seen at Grand Prix Performance and Tire on Newport Blvd between 17th and 18th.

We will be back there for the entire last week in September. We will be having "the talk" with Ed at that time. This is indeed very sad.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1983 380SEC, 1991 560SEC, and old porsches
13 Posts
ejhoy

your car is worth what someone will pay for it. The range is 5 to 12 K at the moment. Know that in 91 someone paid nearly 100K for it. The mileage is low for a 560. Mine isat 220K plus and running strong. The MB 560SEC is a better car than what is being produced today. I think you should keep it and wait for it to increase in value. I have old porsches that were 5K only a few years ago and now one of these cars is worth 150K. I feel strongly that the SEC will go the same way, they are rare and getting rarer. Think seriously about keeping it in the bank! Mike

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '98 SL500
1,977 Posts
ejhoy

your car is worth what someone will pay for it. The range is 5 to 12 K at the moment. Know that in 91 someone paid nearly 100K for it. The mileage is low for a 560. Mine isat 220K plus and running strong. The MB 560SEC is a better car than what is being produced today. I think you should keep it and wait for it to increase in value. I have old porsches that were 5K only a few years ago and now one of these cars is worth 150K. I feel strongly that the SEC will go the same way, they are rare and getting rarer. Think seriously about keeping it in the bank! Mike
This is NOT a $5K, $6K or $7K car.

I am curious to see your $5K Porsche from a few years ago that is now worth $150K.

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts
I also frequent Grand Prix so could stop by and take a peak.

Mike

·
Registered
1991 560 SEC
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone who wants to look at the car should do so. Any input about it is welcomed.

I found the service record file while at his apartment last week but didn't have time to read it. Our return trip is now scheduled: Sept 28 to Oct 6. If you want to talk in person about the car, PM me with your contact info. I am checking this forum and his email, now.

It is a cream puff or he wouldn't own it. He bought it after his previous, 4-door diesel model, was totaled when he was hit. I think that was at least 8 years ago, as his log in here is dated 2005.

Anyone have a chance to look up the VIN decoder for us, yet?
VIN WDBCA45E7MA592095

It isn't reasonable for us to keep it. We may take it to Portland OR as a friend of the family has a teenage son that will take it, but OMG, don't let this happen to this car!

·
Registered
W124 400E, W126 500SE
971 Posts
VEHICLE TYPE: Car
MODEL NAME: 560 SEC JAPAN
ENGINE: 117968 12 100229
TRANSMISSION: 722350 03 479958
BODY: 05122
ORDER NUMBER: 0070552742
LIGHTS: BOSCH
INTERIOR COLOR: 268
PAINTS: 147

291 AIRBAG FOR FRONT PASSENGER

340 ADDITIONAL 3RD STOP LAMP

461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND

494 VERSION FOR USA

524 PAINTWORK - PRESERVATION

551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM

581 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONER

592 ALL-ROUND WD-GREEN GLASS,HEATED REAR WINDOW-VSG

801 AEJ 06/1/M/X

810 SOUND SYSTEM

873 SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SEATS

Looks nice, is there really no way to keep it and preserve it? It will only raise in value now, and you can't buy something like that with any money nowadays! (true, we are enthusiasts, but it is also true that those cars are rare and one of the best cars ever made...)

·
Registered
1991 560 SEC
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
801 AEJ 06/1/M/X

Looks nice, is there really no way to keep it and preserve it? ...
Thanks! What is "AEJ" in English? :)

Believe me, I know what you are asking re preservation.

It broke my heart when I sold my customized BMW R1200C motorcycle (vision issues) after riding for my main transportation since I was 12; we live in Montana and need all wheel drive, so we have two Legacy GT (turbo), one sedan and one wagon, both special order and the wagon is manual shift, which also is no longer available, had a very limited year run and limited # produced. Obviously, I learned my appreciation of good vehicles from my father!

It will be gone but not forgotten.

We expect to get it listed in a day or two, officially, but you read it here, first.

·
Registered
1991 560 SEC
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What's the difference between Sun Roof and Moon Roof for this model? I see his has the full metal panel. Is there a static, fixed, glass pane under that? I guess I should have ridden inside it more often.

My Subie has the glass slider that opens and tilts, so it is Moon Roof when the glass is closed but the headliner slider is open (view through), and Sun Roof when the glass is open completely.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
IIRC the 801 is the year built. I.E. the 1 would mean 91 as year of build, perhaps the 6/1/ are the month and day??

·
Registered
13 Posts
slow and rusty

I would be proud to send you a photo of my early porsches. The one that is worth 150K is a 55 speedster. Send me your phone number and I will photo text it to you. If I knew how to work this site I could probably post the photo here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Slow and rusty
I had my son help me get the photo online. it is in the 126 forum posted at 728 pm today.
and the 150K is a guess. some sell for more. Mike

1 - 20 of 37 Posts