Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RIght - In a straight line I have been know to put on foot down.. The odd time the backend steps out in the wet... etc...

I got Goodyear F1's on all 4 corners and just noticed after 6000 miles they need replacing on the rear...

Since it my daily commute - wondering what one's you chaps would recommend..

Already got SK response.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Check out the tire rack site. Even you do not buy from them they have pretty in depth reviews on each tire, will show you what the have for your car, and most importantly they have user feedback on each tire as well..

Matt

·
Administrator
8,714 Posts
The new wheels that I bought are fitted with Continental ContiSportContact 3.

The characteristics and handling are extremely good. The seller claimed they had around 4000 miles of use and when I checked with a depth gauge they were showing 6mm which were presumable fitted to the front of the R230 and 5mm for those probably fitted to the rear.

Continental tyres are fitted by Mercedes Benz at the factory and usually Mercedes do their homework.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Even wear across the tire.
Ugh. Time to switch brands then. That is horrendous tread-life.

As RedLiner said, the Conti's are a good choice for a Z-rated tire that still lasts reasonably well. The only complaint I have ever heard about the conti's is that they tend to get loud as they age.

Personally I have Pilot-Sport's on mine, and they are a little better on treadwear than 6000 mi, but not much. They are good for 9000-12000. At the next replacement, I am going to switch to something different.

I have heard great things about Bridgestones, and had the potenza/serenity sports on my BMW. I probably had 18k miles on those tires when I sold it and they were still going strong. Soft ride too.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
RIght - In a straight line I have been know to put on foot down.. The odd time the backend steps out in the wet... etc...

I got Goodyear F1's on all 4 corners and just noticed after 6000 miles they need replacing on the rear...

Since it my daily commute - wondering what one's you chaps would recommend..

Already got SK response.
Hi JeffKolish honestly I'm shocked from the mileage you got from the F1s: ok you car has at least 150/200 BHPs more than my SL 320 V6 (224 BHPs) but when I had my Pirelli P Zero Rosso and with 90% of spirited drive including rear tyre spinning and rally-like style driving I got roughtly 12,000 miles out of them and they usually say Pirellis dont' last that much.
One thing concrnes me tho: I had 17" rims on my car but the stock size was 245/45 R17 95V so since your tyres are somewhat smaller maybe that could affect their life.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

·
Greek God of the R129
8,365 Posts
Haha, Jeff.
Why ask when you know the answer.
Heavy foot = 6000 miles, on back tires.
There is nothing wrong. ;)
On my younger days, not too many people wanted to be in my car.
(I used to take corners on two wheels.)
Only one person stuck with my driving, and she became my wife.

Oh, I forgot a few weeks ago on a stretch I went up to 135M. and she asked
me, what are you doing?
So I went off the pedal. :(
Regards.
aam.
Ps. I used to wear the front / rear tho. :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
I consider myself to have a pretty heavy right foot (ask Jeff!) and on my current set of tyres I have also done 3000 miles round Europe on a driving holiday, over mountain passes and all driven with "gusto". Also did a day at the Nurburgring as well (8 laps from memory). My current tyres have covered nearly 22000 miles and I reckon still have at least 3mm left on them. Excellent! Michelin Primacy Sport 245/45/17 as fiited as standard to the CLS where my wheels came from. When they do eventually go I have a set of Michelin Primacy HP to replace them with. These are supposed to be even better (and I paid less than $500 for a set of 4 part worn off ebay, with 6mm tread left)!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts