Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1991 R129 500SL
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Would appreciate information if MB made radiators and aircon condensers for sl's
to be sold in countries with very hot weather (Middle East or tropical countries), would appreciate the part #'s.
thanks in advance

Chicky

·
Registered
1991 MB 500SL + 2015 MB E250
23 Posts
Hi Chicky,
What is your problem exactly? I had my 91 500SL in Saudi Arabia for many years and faced no problems apart from once the radiator top hose connction broke, but that's a known problem all over the world.
If you let me know the partnumber for the radiator on yours I can check if they suppplied a different one for me in the very hot area.
I once got 0-30 Mobil 1 oil in the engine and the oilpressure was pretty low in idel when it was 50 dec C outside temp (engine oil temp above 100 C). When I changed to the right Shell Helix Ultra that solved that problem.

·
Premium Member
Black SL 500 1994
1,026 Posts
Hi Chicky,

Please read Jim Forgione's excellent pages, specifically items 15,16,17,18,20,21,22.
K6JRF Auto Page

Jim has a W140 coupe but with same engine as you ( M119 but upgraded FI) and a lot of the systems are very similar.
Also try the search, if I recall correct we have a few threads regarding the engine temp / high temps.
Regarding the condenser, I do not have the correct answer, but I've had the opportunuty to drive my car at temperatures of 31 C with the top DOWN and the Climate control was able to keep me cool and comfortable.

·
Registered
1991 MB 500SL + 2015 MB E250
23 Posts
The part number for radiator supplied by official MB dealer in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, Jan 2004 was : 120 500 01 03 (price: USD 480 + USD 80 for fitting).

·
Registered
1991 R129 500SL
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jacob500SL said:
The part number for radiator supplied by official MB dealer in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, Jan 2004 was : 120 500 01 03 (price: USD 480 + USD 80 for fitting).
Hi Jacob500SL,

Thank you for the part #, my came with 129 500 01 03, which I think is the same with what you quoted (I think you just had a typo error).

There really is nothing wrong with my cooling system, but was just wondering if the factory came out with a "bigger capacity" radiator, as it can really get hot here in the Philippines, with the heavy traffic also.

Thank you

Chicky

·
Registered
1991 R129 500SL
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ErikFinn said:
Hi Chicky,

Please read Jim Forgione's excellent pages, specifically items 15,16,17,18,20,21,22.
K6JRF Auto Page

Jim has a W140 coupe but with same engine as you ( M119 but upgraded FI) and a lot of the systems are very similar.
Also try the search, if I recall correct we have a few threads regarding the engine temp / high temps.
Regarding the condenser, I do not have the correct answer, but I've had the opportunuty to drive my car at temperatures of 31 C with the top DOWN and the Climate control was able to keep me cool and comfortable.
Hi ErikFinn,

Thanks and I will go check out the article. As for your driving with the top down with the aircon on, I will definetely try it...but will have to wait when the temp here goes down to 31, as it was 36 yesterday...hahaha:p

Thanks again

Chicky

·
Premium Member
Black SL 500 1994
1,026 Posts
Chicky said:
Hi ErikFinn,

Thanks and I will go check out the article. As for your driving with the top down with the aircon on, I will definetely try it...but will have to wait when the temp here goes down to 31, as it was 36 yesterday...hahaha:p

Thanks again

Chicky
LOL!, yes, 31 or about 90 F is about the hottest it ever gets here, but I remember having adjusted the climate control when it was really uncomfortably hot and to my surprise the climate control made a big difference, even though I had the top down. If you have the aircon as opposed to the Climate control I'm not sure if they are equal in terms of cooling power though.
But regarding the engine temps please read the links I provided, it is my understanding that the very earlier 500s always run hotter to the point it is bothering the owners. We've had a few threads here on the forum as well if I recall correct.

·
Registered
1991 R129 500SL
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ErikFinn said:
LOL!, yes, 31 or about 90 F is about the hottest it ever gets here, but I remember having adjusted the climate control when it was really uncomfortably hot and to my surprise the climate control made a big difference, even though I had the top down. If you have the aircon as opposed to the Climate control I'm not sure if they are equal in terms of cooling power though.
But regarding the engine temps please read the links I provided, it is my understanding that the very earlier 500s always run hotter to the point it is bothering the owners. We've had a few threads here on the forum as well if I recall correct.
Thanks ErikFinn, will read the links :thumbsup:

Chicky

1 - 9 of 9 Posts