Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 500SL
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 1991 500SL and there is a plastic piece of grille to the left of the license plate (as your facing the front of the car) that pops out. It's part of the front bumper. Mine popped out and got lost, now I have a hole there. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement for this? I don't want to buy the whole grille assembly, just the one piece.

Also how can I find out the paint code for my car, I can't find a sticker or label anywhere on the car that has it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
SL500, ML320, E320
538 Posts
Mark:
I've lost a couple of those tow-hook covers and reordered from MB after failing to find one on E-Bay or a recycle yard - - Fifty some bucks for a ten dollar piece of white plastic and an equal amount to get it painted.

After the second replacement, I used heavy speaker wire and tied the trim piece to the tow hook to avoid loosing it again.

It seems when I pull into a parking place--over a curb or parking bumper, that the car must "settle"-- body sitting lower on the frame and invariably, the chin spoiler scrapes when backing out.

Not very "factory" . . .but functional !
CQRT in AZ

·
Registered
91 500SL
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I purchased the tow hook cover from my local dealer, $110 (ouch!!) but it came in the right color for my car so I didn't need to paint it.

I guess great minds think alike, I did the same thing using speaker wire to tie it in place, that sucker ain't coming off again!!

Also purchased a can of touch-up paint from the dealer to touch up the spoiler, looks like new now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts