Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1991 350SDL, 2004 Honda Odyssey, 1999 Honda Civic DX
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some direction, my 350SDL has hit the pavement with its undercarriage way too often. This car is new to me so I wouldn't know if it has the wrong factory springs. I have two avenues to persue, replace the bumper stops on the front shocks or replace the springs with H&R springs. The shocks are brand new Bilsteins front and rear.

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 1993 S420, 1990 420 SEL, 1985 500SE, 1994 Toyota Supra Aerotop
753 Posts
I would think new springs and probably a good idea to replace the foam stoppers in the shocks too. I renewed all my SLS components but still have the rear too low thanks to saggy springs.

Do you have a pic of how the car sits? I'm not sure springs always collapse as they age or just get softer. When I get enough cash I'll be changing my springs out. When I step on it the back of the car basically drags on the ground!

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
From your picture it doesn't look like it's sitting too low. Is it bouncing up and down while you're driving?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,142 Posts
Hmm yeah it looks fairly high. But, the springs could just be worn out.

My rear end is like that. It doesn't sit low, its a tad high for my liking. But, put any weight at all in it and it soon sags low. Even one person, but three people and its nose in the air time. Basically my springs are worn out and need replacing, perhaps yours are the same. Odd its on the front though.

Nice looking car btw.

·
Registered
W124 400E, W126 500SE
971 Posts
It will sound strange to you, but I changed my front and rear springs on 3 W126s so far, and it only reached the proper height after changing both springs AND shocks - don't ask me why, the shocks are not there to support the weight, but this it the way it worked for me.

On my (now new) 500SE, I changed the springs last week and it still isn't high enough to my liking. And I have the thickest spacers they make and HD springs in the rear (highly recommended!)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shocks do lift this car

I can confirm actually that the front shocks especially can raise this car. I couldn't believe it but new shocks are almost impossible to compress, they raised it by an inch. The rear was not as lifting but all the shocks are replaced. I'm seriously considering replacing the springs with H&R springs.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Bilstein HDs will also raise the car further, I noticed this on mine. I wonder, I don't want so much body roll but also don't want to have the car visually lowered. Is there a way to do this with H&Rs? I just don't want the drag look :)

Mrtazzy - Here the rear looks like the right height, so I guess it must be worn out springs, or the buffers/bump stops in the shocks are also worn out making the car do this.

Has anyone just replaced the standard MB springs that can comment on what the difference is compared to older possibly worn springs?

·
Registered
W124 400E, W126 500SE
971 Posts
Has anyone just replaced the standard MB springs that can comment on what the difference is compared to older possibly worn springs?
That is what I did. Not with the factory original, but with original replacement made by Lemforder. It depends on the state of the old spring and how much junk you carry in the trunk- I usually find a piece of the spring has broken off already, and because I haul a lot of unnecessary stuff in the trunk it makes a big difference. I guesstimate 2cms based on springs alone, more with shocks. You can adjust the height to your liking with proper spacers
EDIT: see below post for accurate description!

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,142 Posts
They come in 3 thicknesses on the rear,9.5,14 & 19mm, indicated by the number of 'tits' on the top edge.

At the front there are 4 choices, 8,13,18 & 23mm,indicated as above but with 1-4 'tits'.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been looking for cracks but I have not found any. :confused:

I also just found out about the Bilstein HDs, I'm a little upset though because I just bought the regular ones just two weeks ago. :mad:

I'd like better sway bars, better springs and better shocks for it. I'm still not convinced though that I want the ride height changed, it's good the way it is. H&R states that their springs are for the gas versions only. How much heavier can the diesel be over a 5.6L V8. :confused:

Also I don't carry stuff around, car is empty.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
753 Posts
That is what I did. Not with the factory original, but with original replacement made by Lemforder. It depends on the state of the old spring and how much junk you carry in the trunk- I usually find a piece of the spring has broken off already, and because I haul a lot of unnecessary stuff in the trunk it makes a big difference. I guesstimate 2cms based on springs alone, more with shocks. You can adjust the height to your liking with proper spacers
EDIT: see below post for accurate description!
Thanks for that, what about the squatting effect when accelerating, was that noticeably improved from before? That's also a big issue for me and I think others here. Was wondering if regular springs would solve it or wether you need to go with HD springs or the H&Rs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts