Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original windshield was replaced last tuesday at a very good,reputable shop in my area. Upon getting it back, it made a noise as if a window was slightly cracked from 40 mph and up. It seemed to come from the center wiper arm as the tech said "its hard to get the windshield tucked under the wiper arm/motor area.". I brought it back and he said he fixed it by blowing air and water in the wind noise area. Any of you have a noise like described or had issues with new windshield installations before? The brand windshield they used was sekurit which is currently used in new MB and BMW vehicles. Any ideas?
P.S. The problem is still existing and i cant stand the noise levels.

·
BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,159 Posts
I've replaced a few W124 windscreens in the past and I always removed the wiper linkage assembly. It sounds like cutting corners when they are trying to slide the windscreen under the linkage.

It sounds to me like some of the sealer was displaced when they were sliding the windscreen in place leaving a gap which is causing the noise.

If it is the case, they won't want to admit it, because the windscreen will need refitting. With the strong bonded sealer, it is highly unlikely that they could get the screen out with out breaking it.

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Spanners! How hard is the linkage to remove prior to installation of the windshield? BC

·
BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,159 Posts
The actual mechanism is only held in place with 3 10mm head bolts and an electrical plug. But there are alot of trims to remove first.

If my memory serves me right, you have to pull the rubber back on the two trims that run down the side of the screen. There are 3 philips headed screws on each side. You then have to pull the two trims off.

Then you have to pull the bottom trim off each side of the wiper (they just pull up). There is then a plastic gutter under the trim which i think has a philips screw and white plastic pull out clip on each side. After pulling out the clip and screw the gutter should just pull out.

Then you have to lift the little flap on the wiper arm and remove the 5mm alen key screw. The Arm then pulls off the end of the linkage.

Then undo the three 10mm bolts holding the linkage to the body unplug the electric plug and remove the linkage. There then should be nothing at all over hanging the windscreen and it is easy to remove but more importantly easier to install.

I haven't done one for ten years, so I may have missed something, but that's about it.

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks spanners, i will suggest this to the shop after i tell them i want a new windshield come monday morning! Thanks, Bc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts