Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You need to remove the instrument panel. There are two bulbs that light up the panel. The bulb is W5W type (or W3W?) In my 250D I used high-power LEDs and it is much better. No plastic melting anymore :).

Here's a pic:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Whoa...that's pretty bright! Are the LEDs plug and play or did you have to do some weird wiring stuff? Is your dimmer still working?

·
Registered
95 Posts
MaxMatt - well, my next question was going to be where can I get these. But I see you're over at the other end of the world.
I tied to look for them in the net but had no luck finding them...any idea where to get something like what you have over here in the USA?

·
Registered
20 Posts
You need to remove the instrument panel. There are...
Hi MaxMat
I'd like you to show me how to to remove the instrument panel to change the two bulbs that light up the panel, I have remove some covers around it like temperature control cover, and the big plastic piece locates between your knees and the steering colum but couldn't find anyway to remove it

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Hi MaxMat
I'd like you to show me how to to remove the instrument panel to change the two bulbs that light up the panel, I have remove some covers around it like temperature control cover, and the big plastic piece locates between your knees and the steering colum but couldn't find anyway to remove it
The instrument cluster is held in place by friction. There really is no point in removing everything else around the cluster just to get to the cluster.

Here is a DIY article on removing the cluster and cluster illumination: MercedesShopWiki: Instrument Cluster Removal

·
Registered
20 Posts
The instrument cluster is held in place by friction....
Hi Bsmuwk
I can't believe it, you spend your new year day to help me(the other memebers) to fix the car.
Well you'll have good not only new year, but every year.
Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have a 230 te 1987 model, am using similar specs to a 300E as reference. Have a broken odometer and need to pull out instrument cluster.The click here on removal of instrument cluster, gives a message can not be found. Maybe it is just me, would like some verifrication.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
gatorblue92
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing