Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tach stopped working about a mile from home and it seems like the idle speed went up. Could it be the altenator?

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
You tried the fuse?......

Red
Electromagnetic clutch engine fan, emission control, washer nozzle heater, tach, cruise control, outside mirror, temp gauge outside, (seat heating front)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are the Man !!! This forum has saved this old hot rod numerous times - THANK YOU

Guess I should do some troubleshooting to see what took the fuse out.

Thanks again.............

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Old age can take fuses out. Oxidization., etc. Remember the fuses are somewhat exposed, not like the normal "U" fuses found in most cars.

If you haven't done so, buy a package of fuses from ebay and replace every last one in your fuse box. your car will thank you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
here's a stupid question. does the entire plastic lid come off of the fusebox??

i just changed the fuse for my tachometer by just lifting the lid and reaching in there. the back right of the cover seemed like it was stuck and i didn't want to risk cracking it. is there some silly trick to getting it off?? the back left seemed free. felt like it was on a hinge.

also, here's a good fyi. i just bought the car and the mechanic the previous owner went to (la jolla, california... major $$$ town) told me that the tach was broken and that it was an "old car". he's the same idiot that claimed it was 3 hours labor to take the ICV off. so if anyone is in la jolla, DO NOT go to COLONIAL GARAGE. they are garbage mechanics. at the time i had just bought the car and wasn't sure he was lieing. my instinct kept saying he was full of feces but i didn't know until now.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
here's a stupid question. does the entire plastic lid come off of the fusebox??

i just changed the fuse for my tachometer by just lifting the lid and reaching in there. the back right of the cover seemed like it was stuck and i didn't want to risk cracking it. is there some silly trick to getting it off?? the back left seemed free. felt like it was on a hinge.

also, here's a good fyi. i just bought the car and the mechanic the previous owner went to (la jolla, california... major $$$ town) told me that the tach was broken and that it was an "old car". he's the same idiot that claimed it was 3 hours labor to take the ICV off. so if anyone is in la jolla, DO NOT go to COLONIAL GARAGE. they are garbage mechanics. at the time i had just bought the car and wasn't sure he was lieing. my instinct kept saying he was full of feces but i didn't know until now.
FAQ Thread That No One Seems To Read said:
Removing the box cover can perplex the first timer . . . First, unlatch the front cover latch, then use a flat bladed screwdriver to pry the large metal rear latch up. Then pinch/squeeze the large metal rear latch to disengage it from the hinge. Lift and angle the cover forward, towards the engine bay, and you should be able to remove the cover with resorting to a torch and cutting attachments on the dremel . . .
...yea

·
Registered
82 Posts
tangent: after getting the #10 fuse replaced and seeing the tach for the first time, i realized that my outside temp guage works but the right half of the little screen must have been smashed or something. so i can only see the first digit. are those little screens replaceable or too much effort??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts