Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the stock 9004 bulbs are anemic, I have been using Silverstars, and they're just ok. I read about converting to 9007s, and got some Phillips Extreme bulbs to fit. I did the conversion, fit the bulbs in, and instead of cutting, swapping and splicing the low beam and ground wires, I swapped the connectors in the junction connection leading into the back of the headlight bucket...elegant, I thought...only now my fog lights do not go on, instead the headlights go on about 85%, then go full on when I turn the switch fully on. I probably messed up the ground by swapping the connectors? Any electricians out there who can help? I may just have to go back and cut and splice...the 9007s do put out much more apparent light at low beam...probably about 40+% more...much better in snow and fog.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
9004 - 9007 headlight conversion

Sorry, didn't imply that I knew more than engineers as you assume. There must be a reason there are so many people are searching for a much better light than the 9004s, re: HID or European version replacements....however, having a very limited income propelled me to try to find an affordable acceptable alternative...if YOU know of anything else that fits that parameter, I would appreciate your knowledgeable input.

·
Registered
1995 E420; 1995 E320 Estate, 1995 C220 (GF)
325 Posts
Dingo Joe has it right. First best is the euro headlights, but you must have those, since you're not talking about the sealed beam square garbage...

note that my objection was based on the idea that you just moved the filament of the bulb from the designed aim point (transverse vs vertical filament). I doubt very much that this helped.

Affordable is the SilverStar, unless you want to go higher wattage (not legal, me no attorney). I've done this before in other cars without real pain, but the filaments don't seem to last as long. PIAA is quite proud of their bulbs, as in they don't let them out the door without a second mortgage. Threads here suggest bumping up the stock headlight wire if you add wattage to your bulbs. Not sure it's necessary.

If you up your light output significantly, be sure to have your lights properly aimed.
If you need more light in town, try the fogs. If you need more light on the highway, maybe buy/add driving lights. Dark interstates are where I would like driving lights...

I use the Silverstar bulbs myself. In three vehicles. Sometimes I hate costs x 3, but lights are like tires. No backup on board, thus kinda critical to get right.

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,726 Posts
Euro beams are the only way to go if you want improved lighting.
Either that, or get yourself some driving lights and wire those in with the fogs.

The US DOT spec headlights were an afterthought for Mercedes to meet the absolutely imbecilic DOT requirements. They were in no way the intended design for the car and severely limit lighting. The best thing you can do for yourself is to find yourself a set of Depo euro headlights and find the most powerful H4 bulb you can get. I guarantee the combination will satisfy you to no bounds. What you're doing here is reinventing the wheel and it won't work. If it's affordability you're after, get the driving lights and wire them in with the fogs. Or set aside a couple $ every now and then for the euros.

I'm anal retentive when it comes to my lighting. I have Bosch euros with a 55W hi/lo HID kit and yellow fog reflectors. Contrary to popular opinion (yes, opinion. not many here put into practice what they say are negatives), I do not blind anybody. I've followed many people and had people come at me as if we were driving and nobody made mention of getting blinding. The euro headlight lenses have a special fluting for a sharp cutoff. Everytime I switch on my headlights its as if the second sun has just been ignited in front of my car. The yellow fogs are for show,snow and fog. I'm not even done yet, I have plans on installing super slim strip driving lights in my bumper for additional side of the road coverage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for your input....I guess I need to start saving up for the Depo Euros....I did put 100w bulbs in the fog lamp housings, the 55s were original, and one had burned out...is 100 too much for the fogs? I may put on an auxiliary driving lamp(s) in the meantime.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
bsmuwk: which particular HID kit are you running? My lighting is 10x better with the Depo euros over the stock US lights, but if there is room for improvement on cutoff, I am all for it!

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,726 Posts
bsmuwk: which particular HID kit are you running? My lighting is 10x better with the Depo euros over the stock US lights, but if there is room for improvement on cutoff, I am all for it!
You can't improve the cutoff as the cutoff isn't what you're seeing on the road. The cutoff is part of the beam that you see up against a wall as a horizontal line basically. With the euros you should have a part of the beam that shoots diagonally for signs and a straight across the board cutoff. You can't really improve that as that's what the fluting in the glass does.

What you're looking at is improving output and I can help you with that. :thumbsup: This is where the BMW guys have it made... ddmtuning

Google 'em. Do your research on them. I've had their kit for a few months now and everything is peachy. Just installed a kit in my dads 87 diesel wagon a few days ago in his Hella euros :thumbsup: It's all plug and play - I do, however, have a bulb out idiot light on my dash because their harness only has one damn plug, but I'm still trying to figure out how bypass that with either resistors or some other method.

And to those who say wiring has to be upgraded in order to run more powerful bulbs.... you're nuts. Bosch and Hella headlight wiring are more than enough. Enough to the point where the wiring are a few steps larger than the HID wiring.

The only way to gauge lighting is not up against a wall, but in practice on a road.... I'll take some pictures for you guys tomorrow on the blackest road I can find. Hopefully the roads won't be wet so you can see my wonderful beam spread. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts