Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came across this 1990 Diamond Blue Japanese market 124 on BaT. It's interesting that while a Japan mkt. car, it is left side drive. A few other interesting features include a 104 24 valve engine (1990 US spec was the 103), cloth seats, no third brake light (no surprise), but does have ROW factory rear fog lights, along with Brit (and apparently Japan) spec side repeaters.

Here is the link:

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,375 Posts
Actually, it is just plain standard Japanese spec. Many MBs such as the W140 that were delivered in the Japanese market were LHD. The side repeaters on the front fenders is standard on all Japanese spec MBs.

As for the motorisation, be aware that the US spec vehicles are always at least 1 year behind due to the US Federalisation process required to meet US DOT and state emissions regulations.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would guess that it is not airbag equipped, given the steering wheel's center medallion. If, by chance it is, it would have been nice if US spec 124s received these steering wheel centers too.

·
Registered
W124
5,168 Posts
Interesting. It is amazing how customized a buyer could make their car in certain markets. I had a Euro 126 for a short while. Velour seats, no A/C. Had power windows up front but wind ups in the rear. Manual seats and clearly, from the amount of resonance in the cabin and road noise, there was but a fraction of the sound deadening material in the car compared to a US version.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A cloth seat option would have been nice to have here, as well as additional color choices, as was the case in Europe. I would guess that by MBNA standardizing color choices, available options, etc., it made the logistics of sending cars to dealers around the country easier.

Regarding your euro 126, while I can understand the A/C delete ( it seems that this was a more common practice over there), and the velour seats, I'm surprised the MB actually allowed euro buyers to order electric front, and manual rear window openers on the same car. The only thing that I can think of was MBs' trying to make the cost more affordable to more euro buyers.

·
Registered
17,375 Posts
...I'm surprised the MB actually allowed euro buyers to order electric front, and manual rear window openers on the same car. The only thing that I can think of was MBs' trying to make the cost more affordable to more euro buyers.
That's pretty standard fare here in Europe across all the makes, although I refer to it as BS optioning. Definitely something that would not fly in the US. After all, how much extra would it cost to put in the wiring for the rear window motors?

I had a very late W124 Euro spec with the same shitty thing. Bothered the crap out of me since I couldn't lower the rear windows to allow a nice warm breeze to pass through on those few enjoyable days. One of the prime reasons I ditched that car after only 18 months even though it was mint and had low miles. The other reason is/was having no electric seats, although it did have seat heaters.

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,546 Posts
In most of the rest of the world Mercedes Benz was just a brand of car, like Toyota or Peugeot or anything else. It's only here in North America that it is an exclusively "luxury" brand. It's not uncommon to see MB taxis, hearses, ambulances, vans, semi trucks, buses, work vans etc.

I learned to drive in a diesel W115 with no power anything. Yes, manual steering. My dads W123 300D has a four speed manual, no power anything. I've seen carburetted S class (W126) and manual transmission W140s. Even seen and driven the stripper (only one side mirror, no ac, no electric windows or sunroof, no power locks, MB tex interior, carb'd ) W124 200. Some, curiously, had four speed manuals and some had 5 speed manuals.

·
Registered
W124
5,168 Posts
In most of the rest of the world Mercedes Benz was just a brand of car, like Toyota or Peugeot or anything else. It's only here in North America that it is an exclusively "luxury" brand. It's not uncommon to see MB taxis, hearses, ambulances, vans, semi trucks, buses, work vans etc.
Very true. To MBNA's credit, they used the option list to create something that didn't exist in this marketplace. I'm glad they did too.

·
Registered
17,375 Posts
Yah, Ok. Whatever. BUT this deal about paying for power windows and only getting front powered windows is 100% BS IMO. Either you have manual windows (standard fare) or you have power windows (premium fare). Not this half and half crap.

You can't be a little of both, in the same way you can't be a little big pregnant. Either you are or you aren't.

·
Registered
W124
5,168 Posts
Believe me, I thought it was nuts to have wind up rears and electric fronts. What I don't understand is if someone had so few rear seat passengers that they opted for this bizzarre arrangement, why did they buy a 126 to begin with?

·
Registered
17,375 Posts
Hear, hear. Probably for the same reason said person would pick a detuned 260SE strictly for tax purposes.

A 260 is borderline too slow as it is in a W124. I can't imagine having a strangled version of that motor in a bigger car.

The 260 is a great match for the W201 but a b!tch to work on, such as replacing the drivebelt.

IMO, the Europeans are just too brand focused and don't mind getting a reacharound without even getting as much as a thank you just for the sake of driving the 3 pointed swastika. They rather pay more and drive a euro brand car with zero options than say a premium Japanese car that has everything. And to top it off, they paid more for their bottom feeder spec than for the US equivalent W124 that came with a bunch more standard fare on it.

·
Registered
W124
5,168 Posts
^ Steve,
You are on the mark. The car had a 280 motor and as the British are fond of saying; "it couldn't pull the skin off a chocolate pudding". True also about the mindset in Germany. When I was there on business in 2014, I was amazed at how many German cars were on the road and how few Japanese I saw. It may be different now, but I estimated it was 90% MB, BMW, Audi,VW, and 10% anything else. I guess its a "drive German uber alles" mentality even if they have to buy a car with less sound deadening, puny motor, no features, cloth interior, etc.

This brings up a story. A older fellow who worked for me had spent his military time in Germany. He told me that one day early in his deployment he encountered a "rural person" - possibly a farmer, who had a clapped out 60s Mercedes. My buddy being young, unapologetically American, and maybe a little insensitve, asked the farmer, "will you replace that car with another Mercedes?" The farmer responded forcefully; "why? I already HAVE my Merzedes" :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, Diamond Blue, our color. Bid amount is at $3,500 US at this point.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,689 Posts
I have a 2.6 and as long as i can winds her up to the speed limit over here i will be more than happy .These are old ladies now,, and some are over 35 years old or more .So my moto is,, drive it with respect . .

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting. It bid to $6,500 US with reserve not met.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts