Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone. I'm new to these ol mercedes land yachts and have an issue I need help with. I have a 90 560SEL with the 5.6 v8 and have no spark to dizzy cap. Cap, rotor, and ignition coil are brand new.

The rotor in dizzy is spinning as it should. There is power to coil that I can see using a test light.

Any clue as to what I should be looking for? If there is power to the ignition coil then can I assume the control module is bad?

Thanks.

-Chris

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,367 Posts
Welcome Chris.

There's a green wire that needs to be attached to underneath the distributor. Is that intact?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome Chris.

There's a green wire that needs to be attached to underneath the distributor. Is that intact?
Negative. I do not see any green wire. I pulled the distributor out at one point, where does that wire come from and where would it connect? It seems the distributor has no electronics

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1969 280SL
971 Posts
If you have spark from the coil then the problem is either a bad cap and or rotor. The button in the center of the inside of the distributor cap is probably perished.

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1969 280SL
971 Posts
With a multi meter do a continuity test on the rotor from center of rotor to the tip and also on the cap from inside center to the outside where the coil wire goes into the cap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With a multi meter do a continuity test on the rotor from center of rotor to the tip and also on the cap from inside center to the outside where the coil wire goes into the cap.
So now that I'm digging into again, it's got no spark from the ignition coil actually. Someone lead me in the right direction

·
Registered
1990 420 SEC
105 Posts
There is a link to service manuals containing diagnostic of ignition system in the stickies at top of the page. Here is the link:
I have seen and I think I have posted on this site a good YouTube video on diagnosing ignition as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a link to service manuals containing diagnostic of ignition system in the stickies at top of the page. Here is the link:
I have seen and I think I have posted on this site a good YouTube video on diagnosing ignition as well.
After some testing. There is around 830 ohm resistance from the CPS so I can rule that out. Seems to me that the EZL is faulty unless my logic is mistaken

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not super fluent with electrical. I have my multimeter with setting from 200 to 2000k ohms. What setting should be used and where should the test probes be placed

·
Registered
1990 420 SEC
105 Posts
Secondary between body of the coil and high voltage terminal setting 20 k. Primary between the two male thread terminals setting 200. Primary should have no contact to coil body.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Secondary between body of the coil and high voltage terminal setting 20 k. Primary between the two male thread terminals setting 200. Primary should have no contact to coil body.
Secondary checks out at around 11
Primaries are a tiny but high but I have a cheap multimeter so its probably the proper resistance as well.

This all leads me to believe it's the EZL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts