Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300SL, 2004 E320
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ref: '90 300SL Code Diagnosis and Reset

I have a "Trisco Technology PS-411-BENZ" hand held scanner [ver. 3.0](tests analog and digital systems) purchased a couple of years ago for MBZ including the R129, capable of reading MBZ dtc's. I never bothered testing it out until today. It came with LCD unit, PCMCIA card w/software loaded plus the connecting cables (for: 38 pin, 8 & 16 pin , OBD II diagnostic connectors) as well as the power cables. Upon inspection of my vehicle, I find that I do not have the 38 pin female socket. I located a 9 pole female socket. I have NO OBD II connector either. I have not yet looked for the 16 pole diagnostic socket though I believe it is located on the passenger side near the firewall.

Does anyone know where I can get the cable adapter fron serial port to the 9 pole MBZ socket?? Does anyone out there have this same scanner to enlighten me on it's best functionality?? And if using the 8 or 16 pole diagnostic socket . . . testing is by connecting one pole at a time??

What year and engine size R129 did the 38 pin diagnostic socket start appearing??

Thanks to all,
Hz[:0][:0][8D]

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,236 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Trisco, but this guy here may be: http://pages.prodigy.net/jforgione/mb_scnrs.htmlIt's probably a very nice unit and one I would like to own myself, though for a 1990 M-B all you need is a 99-cent LED from Radio Shack to read diagnostics.

The 9-pole connector has very little diagnostic info. I doubt your Trisco is designed to interface with it and therefore would not have any adapters for it. You probably interface only with the 16-pole connector, and I imagine you do so one socket at a time.

I believe the 38-pole diagnostic socket was introduced in model-year 1993 on the R129.

·
Registered
1990 300SL, 2004 E320
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bobterry99:
Thanks for that link. In fact that is where I purchased the scanner from. I had lost the info. in my old garage somewhere (. . . since purchased in 2002 & moved to another home). I called the Vendor and found out the 9 pin socket adapter in their manual is NLA or never was available. The supplied single (one-at-a-time) probe/pin is used on the 16 pole diagnostic socket to read dtc's. I believe I'm good to go . . . as soon as it stops raining here.

Thanks,
Hz[8D]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts