Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Return those. You need the same number with either loose or stud terminal. Proper new wires will be the same boot as your old ones.
I've been on the phone with my local M-B dealer, and he said I need the BPR5ES, not the BP. BPR is a standard plug, according to the NGK website. I called 4 parts houses as well, and they claim the BP no longer comes with the studded terminal....its solid, only. These will be returned.

Dealer had a 2 day wait, on top of waiting for what came in today, but NAPA had 4 in stock, and ordered 4 for delivery tomorrow morning. I installed the 4 he had, and the car started on the first try, about 1 full second after trying.

The 4 I pulled were anywhere from +10 to +20 over gap...all from the passenger side. The front one was black, while the others were tan...all were dry.

I'll replace the driver's side in the morning. I can hardly wait to see the difference.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Glad you got the car back. Looks new to me/forums/images/BenzWorld2/smilies/tango_face_smile.png Hope you get it all sorted!
Thanks. I'm not going to stress if it takes 2 years to sell. I plan on getting some enjoyment from it first.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,473 Posts
BPR is a resistor plug. Not really a big deal but OE was non resistor. Check your manual.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, at least it's starting on the first crank, quickly...that's what matters the most at this point. I've been told much by different sources, and get more than a bit overwhelmed. Regardless, it's starting like it should. I'm sure it will do even better once the driver's side is done.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Plugs: BP5ES. The BPRs are resistor.
Wires: Check out Kingsborne.
Why replace the cap and rotor? Are they damaged?
Because they looked like this...new ones are on and she runs better now than she did when I got her in 2008. I wasn't aware there was a cover that went over the cap for the top cover, til after I put the new one on, and was cleaning everything up. Needless to say, I took it back off, fit the cover on, and put the cap back on.

Other than a mild stumble after a cold start, she's running great.

Quick question, and I'm not sure if I should start a new post for it...the cold start stumble. To me, it reminds me of an accelerator dead spot I had on my 1979 Thunderbird...the initial push of the pedal would make it stumble, and occasionally stall. What could cause this to happen with this fuel system? The pumps are good, new fuel filter, and I'm running Techron and Sea Foam in the fuel to clean out deposits from the injectors. It did this 10 years ago, so it's not a new issue. Any idea what may cause it??

Attachments

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
BPR is a resistor plug. Not really a big deal but OE was non resistor. Check your manual.
I ordered the right ones through the dealer...somehow, they got the right NGK plugs, which were the same number I originally ordered. The BPR plugs are in my toolbox as backups, should I ever need them.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I gave her a proper clay bar treatment using Mothers California Gold Clay Kit. She shines up pretty good. Next up...a good wax and polish job.

Attachments

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
9 Participants
jplinville
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing