Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been 9 long years since I put the R107 in storage. I had it pulled and delivered to the house today. It took two baths to get storage grime off of her, but she still shines like a new penny. I put a new battery in her today, and bumped the engine a bit to make sure it wasnt seized up.

Upcoming projects...clean old fuel from tank and lines, complete tune up, check flex disk and chain guides, replace fuel filter, check pumps, replace ball check valve (one of the reasons why it went to storage), new brake rotors and pads, check calipers (stuck a bit, but finally freed up), and a few other thing before attempting to start.

Anything I'm missing on my list?

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,072 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I am doing something like you but only 7 years in the garage. She needed a water pump then things happen and now its time to get going on the 450sl before I build a new engine 500hp engine for the El Camino. First is the timing chain, sprockets, guides and tensioner. Fuel pump, water pump along with new belts. Now for the biggest problem the vacuum system. I took this over when the love of my life and I got together in 04 and she had some idiots work on it so just one vacuum line went from black spliced to green/white to clear spliced again & again nice work if you don't care, show me the money. Everything is brittle and needs to be replaced in the engine. Vin # 10704412044832. Does anyone have the size and quantity of vacuum along with fitting needed for the job. I need some help with the vacuum system. I know how important this system is. Mileage is 109600. I have been reading a lot from here and it all helped. Still need help. Thanks

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy Shit! Has it been 9 years already?

Tires.
Yup...9 long years. Been fighting my physical limitations and getting used to the new, unimproved me while working on the wife's F250...a project which finally has an end in sight.

Forgot to add tires to the list, but already thought of them. I'll have them replaced when I have the rims refinished...they have a couple of scratches that are bothering me.

·
Registered
650 Posts
9 years isn't all that long. Drain fuel, add several gallons of fresh. Start car and drive it gently. Items needing attention will become obvious. You may be surprised by how little actually needs to be done. Don't overthink things and make unnecessary work for yourself,these are robust vehicles.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the basic tune up...plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, can someone double check my part numbers to make sure I'm choosing the right parts?

Plugs...NGK BPR5ES

Cap...Bosch 03227

Wires...Karlyn-STI 113Q

Rotor...Bosch 04177

Fuel Filter...Bosch 0-986-AF8-093

Part numbers come from the PP site...but I remember something specific with the plugs and wires, something that can easily be mistaken and the wrong part gotten...something about resistor plugs or wires being the wrong ones, or something like that.

I plan on cross referencing these parts with Advance Auto to see if I can get them from there for cheaper than PP. I don't want to get them from the dealer, if possible, due to cost. I know that there is no such thing as a cheap repair, but I think a few bucks can be saved here...

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
For the basic tune up...plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, can someone double check my part numbers to make sure I'm choosing the right parts?

Plugs...NGK BPR5ES

Cap...Bosch 03227

Wires...Karlyn-STI 113Q

Rotor...Bosch 04177

Fuel Filter...Bosch 0-986-AF8-093

Part numbers come from the PP site...but I remember something specific with the plugs and wires, something that can easily be mistaken and the wrong part gotten...something about resistor plugs or wires being the wrong ones, or something like that.

I plan on cross referencing these parts with Advance Auto to see if I can get them from there for cheaper than PP. I don't want to get them from the dealer, if possible, due to cost. I know that there is no such thing as a cheap repair, but I think a few bucks can be saved here...
Plugs are wrong, you want the NGK BPR6ES - for high compression engines. Otherwise looks good.

Best places to get affordably priced parts are our forum sponsors. RMeuropean.com , Autohausaz.com, and mboemparts.com (for true OEM). There's a free shipping code floating around for the last one that I always forget.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,496 Posts
Plugs: BP5ES. The BPRs are resistor.
Wires: Check out Kingsborne.
Why replace the cap and rotor? Are they damaged?

·
Registered
195 Posts
do yourself a favor right now...remove the fuel and REPLACE all the fuel lines, id be very very suprised if they havent self destructed....id hate to see a fire....

othewise your list looks good, basicly check all the rubber parts, also kill the spark and crank on the engine for a good 2 mins..yes that taxes the starter but it will allow you to fully oil prime the engine before startup

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its alive!! I added fresh fuel to the tank, replaced the filter, and drained the fuel line. After a minute of cranking to run the oil, I reconnected the coil and gave it a shot of ether...she started right up. Shes been running for 30 minutes and all gauges look good. I'm going to let her another hour to run everything out of the fuel system, and get the upper engine well lubricated.

Next up...rotors, pads, and checking calipers.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After a wipe down with Mother's spray detailer and a microfiber cloth...hasn't been polished or waxed since before going into storage. Still got a good shine...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
9 years in storage means there's dust in every crevice that could possible be, so between compressed air, rags, Q-tips, and other means, I've been cleaning as much as I can, and polishing metal bits as I go. I completely removed the grill and bezel yesterday, and polished up the stainless, then reassembled. I realized that I had forgotten about the asshat that hit the grill with his fist one day in the mall parking lot back in 2010 for no reason...I saw him do it as I was exiting the store, and handled the situation, but the bezel has a bit of distortion in it. I'm going to have to find another one in the future...but it's shiny now. LOL

I also added a good amount of Sea Foam to 5 gallons of premium, and added it to the small amount of fuel that was in the tank, and have been running it through the system by letting her idle for a few hours at a time. The car's heat climbed up a bit before finally coming back down some, so I'm going to need to flush the system and refill it. Hopefully that takes care of the problem. I still need to change the belts...they're making noises I don't care for. But, they're working for now. All fluids have been topped off as needed, and I gently drove it around the block a few times...which also showed that the shocks need attention, as do the brake rotors.

I've got a hell of a laundry list of things that needs done to make her perfect again, and I'm adding to the list daily. Luckily, most of it is just labor involved, and not much in the way of parts or money to put out...so that's a hell of a positive!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
did not mention it but I presume engine Olive Oyl is fresh mineral 20W50 with added zinc?

(and oil war starting in 3, 2, 1...)

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use soap and water instead of oil...oil is too dirty.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Plugs: BP5ES. The BPRs are resistor.
Wires: Check out Kingsborne.
Why replace the cap and rotor? Are they damaged?
Houston, we have a bit of an issue. I wasnt wanting to change wires just yet, and the tip on the new plugs doesn't come off like others I've seen. Will a new wire set have the new or old style boot on it?

As it stands, I'm dead in the water here...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is not a terminal nut...just a the end. I unscrewed on completely from the insulator...there is no threaded shaft to remove a nut from.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,496 Posts
Return those. You need the same number with either loose or stud terminal. Proper new wires will be the same boot as your old ones.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
9 Participants
jplinville
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing