Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

8x16 Wheels from 1991 SL500?

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  ducatipaso 
#1 · (Edited)
I was offered a set of clean 8x16 wheels from a 1991 SL500 for my 1983 Coupe. I am trying to determine if they will fit and what I will need to do this. Spacers? Different Lugnuts then I currently have? I've tried searching but the answers I am finding are confusing the issue so anyone that can tell me I would appreciate!

Thanks

Edit: Additional questions posted below on 5/5. C'mon Benzworld!

#3 ·
they are 16x8 et34
they will not work with your bundt or steel wheel lugs
they will fit, but you will need spacers

here's a test fit of a 16x8et34 from an SL or S class on my wagon. note how far in they sit. all of the width goes to the inside, which in the front will probably hit stuff. the tires are 215/50

versus wide bundts

#10 ·
I've never been a fan of spacers; I feel they change the loading on the bearings too much and lead to trouble down the road.

The wheels are, as mentioned earlier, 16x8, ET34; the 15 hole wheels. That reference pic of newer SL wheels is very helpful.

Out of curiosity what spacers are needed and what lug nuts are needed? I'm new to the Benz world. Are there any wheels from a newer model that are a direct bolt on without spacers?

#11 ·
The more research I do the more it looks like mild spacers are an acceptable solution. I basically drive the car on a 30 mile straight highway commute; not the S Curve at Watkins Glen so it should be ok and search hasn't brought up people that have run into issues.

A few more questions:
1. What size spacers should I be looking at to run these SL wheels? As stated; 16x8 ET 34; with 225/55/16 Tires (iirc; possibly 225/60/16). IE: How big of a spacer? I want to avoid rubbing issues; but I don't want the wheels sticking out the sides; a flush or filled wheel well is my ideal. I see spacers in 5, 10, 15mm sizes; which is most appropriate?

2. I assume for safety sake that the lug bolts should be replaced with a longer version. What should I be looking for here to ensure proper fit? Does anyone have specs or a link that I can follow?

Thanks in advance

#12 ·
I would recommend a 10-15mm spacer maybe 20 but that's getting kinda thick
if I do this setup on the wagon for fun, it'd be in the 15mm range

The best way to determine what spacer you want to run is to install the wheel, put a good quality metric rule against the wheel face, perpendicular, and determine where you want that wheel face to be

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.