Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of purchasing a 2007 c280 4matic and wanted to know if the car can run on 89 octane?

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
I am thinking of purchasing a 2007 c280 4matic and wanted to know if the car can run on 89 octane?
Your car is spec'd for 90 Octane, Check inside of Fuel Door and your Owners Manual.
You have a High-Compression Engine which requires High Octane, in this case, 90 Octane/RON

·
Registered
150 Posts
Your car is spec'd for 90 Octane, Check inside of Fuel Door and your Owners Manual.
You have a High-Compression Engine which requires High Octane, in this case, 90 Octane/RON
Same for the C240's 2.6L V6?

Mine runs on all grades fine... I would assume that MB's are smart enough to change the settings when they detect lower octane.

89 is what has been used around here lately...

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Haha, cheapskates. Fuel will never be as cheap as it is now. Some analyst predict $10-12/gal. Even Cramer that's conservative is saying $5/gallon soon. So why not buy as much premium as you can get now, enjoy these low prices while you can. Can't afford it, MB has a solution, the Smart car. I hedge my fuel prices by buying oil company stock, record level profits, time to jump in.

As for fuel consumption, analysts say people won't really change their habits until about $6-7/gal and even if they do in the U.S., other countries like China and India are still growing.

·
Registered
2003 c240
254 Posts
this is bullshit! i am moving to venezuela where the gas prices are 7cents a gallon.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Haha, cheapskates. Fuel will never be as cheap as it is now. Some analyst predict $10-12/gal. Even Cramer that's conservative is saying $5/gallon soon. So why not buy as much premium as you can get now, enjoy these low prices while you can. Can't afford it, MB has a solution, the Smart car. I hedge my fuel prices by buying oil company stock, record level profits, time to jump in.

As for fuel consumption, analysts say people won't really change their habits until about $6-7/gal and even if they do in the U.S., other countries like China and India are still growing.
The smart car is not for someone interested in saving fuel or money. It uses premium, gets so so mileage for its size, and is useless above 50mph.

A Honda Fit, Civic, Corolla, or any other econo-box is a far better vehicle than the smart car dollar for dollar.

That having been said, I know I can't afford 15mpg anymore. So the C240 is soon to be gone!

If gas goes up that much, then cost of living increases will happen as usual for the majority of the working world. We will just further weaken our dollar as usual! When the poor people that do all the jobs nobody wants to do but we depend on so much can't afford to drive to work anymore, is when we will see some change happen.

·
Registered
2003 c240
254 Posts

·
Registered
2010 C350 4MATIC
32 Posts
Quit complaining, in Canada I'm paying 1.33/liter for premium which is about 5 bucks a gallon and it's only going up for the summer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SUCKS TO BE CANADIANNNN LOL ;)

driving a 1997 c230... i obviously kno 93 would prob b best but either way does anyone kno if runnin 89 is ruining my engine in any way?

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
Using a lower octane fuel is "false economy" . . . what you may be saving at the pump will also hurt your MPG in many instances. Unless your typical drive is glass flat and you never "punch it" on the on ramps, or don't ever carry passengers, then it's likely that when the engine gets hot, predetonation can occur and then the engine will start to retard timing . . . lowering performance and wasting gas.

·
Registered
2004 clk55 amg
270 Posts
there's a reason why they tell you to run 93...otherwise, they'd tell you to run something else...i'm pretty sure mb knows what they're talking about.

·
Registered
2011 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon
1,023 Posts
Not sure how that whole theory works...but i am getting 33 MPG's on the highway 5 days a week on 89 for the past 3-4 months...havent noticed any lack of power, hesitation or anything in between.

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
Mercedes Benz states that under "extreme circumstances" you can use 89 or even 87 octane petrol. The car will function as normal however, you will need to adjust your driving style. never more than 3/4 of full throttle, no applications of full throttle period, no jackrabbit starts. Basically they do not want a load on the engine that would lead to potential detonation which will cause damage to the emission control components and or damage piston crowns due to high compression detonation or pinging. if you can drive really gently you are OK and no damage will result.

·
Registered
1982 240d, 2007 e350
2,071 Posts
how old is this document? The prices look a bit dated

·
Registered
2007 C280 4matic/2001 Dinan Z3/1973 Porsche 911RS Clone
22 Posts
I can't understand this one bit. We all drive these great cars and when you go to the pump you are going to skimp on the gas? What is the price difference between 89 and hightest.....10 cents? So you fill up the car and get say 15 gallons and save $1.50. Oh yeah that will get you a bunch. If you fill up once a week that is only $78 per year. Man you would spend that in a single evening with a nice dinner and a glass of wine, and don't even bring up what we spend on things like wheels and tires, audio equipment and trick this and thats. If you want to use regular why don't you buy a Toyota? Get a grip. Treat the car with respect and it will return the favor.

Greg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts