Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2005 C230 Sedan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife took the 560 to get groceries and I got a call 30 minutes later. On the way home the car stalled out and wouldnt start up. I ride down there and I start the car with a jump, ( battery died because she kept trying to start the car). So with the car started I put it in drive and got 10ft then it bogged out like it was out of gas. I tried 3 more times with same result. It idles fine but when I start to drive it or throttle it over 3k rpm it bogs out then dies. We live in a suburb/rural area with alot of back roads so I pushed it home 1.25 miles.
I am figuring it has something to do with fuel, it has spark and nothing has changed with the car to affect compression and it starts. Im stumped

All this happened 2 weeks ago. I have been searching threads and havent really found any hard leads. I have been asking around and all the shops wont give me any info, just tell me to give them 75-150 bucks and they will try to figure out with no promises. Anyone know where I should start, some tests or something. Im at whits end and my wife is pregnant and mad with out a car. Help a brother out........ha

·
Registered
Current: 1987 560 SEC US, former factory trained MB tech 10 years, owner of 14 others.
723 Posts
Sure sounds like clogged fuel filter to me, Not enough fuel getting to the motor. A classic symptom. Rule #1 of diagnostics, never overlook the obvious.

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
I wonder if you have a bad FPR (fuel pump relay). Try this - search the archives for specific instructions in "jumping the FRP". The short story is you remove the relay, stick a piece of wire into two of the sockets where the relay was, and try to start the car again. Then, rev it to 3000rpm and see if it dies or not. If not, try driving it for a short distance. If it reacts fine, that is your problem (the relay). If it still has the same problem, you need to do some other checks to see if you have proper fuel flow, etc.

·
Registered
2005 C230 Sedan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried full pump relay jump. Not the problem. Im going to to walk to autozone and pick up a filter.

·
Registered
1991 420SEL, flirting with 200k
150 Posts
Tried full pump relay jump. Not the problem. Im going to to walk to autozone and pick up a filter.
Good luck changing the bloody thing, with where they are located they tend to get nice and rusty, at least mine did. Prepare to curse!

·
Registered
2005 C230 Sedan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well NAPA was closed so I have to wait until tomorrow. Anyone know what the next step is after that doesn't work?

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Do you have spark? Sounds like it might be the EZL. Or the Idle Control Module.

If you jumpered the FPR and the pump worked, did you disconnect the gas line and see how it fills a 2 liter bottle? It should fill a third in a second or so. (Time to turn the key on and then off.)

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
What exactly did you do and what was the result?

·
Registered
2005 C230 Sedan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I have spark, because the car starts and idles but doesnt go over 3k rpm without bogging out like it is out of gas. I jumped the FPR and same result.

To Chadahar, I would do that, but Im not sure how and where to pull the gas from

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
Time to get the service manuals on CD if you don't already have them. If you disconnect the line from the back of the car at the fuel distributor and stick that into a one gallon clear jug/bottle, you jumper the FPR and see how much fuel you get in the bottle in 30-40 seconds. Should be at least a liter. If not, you have flow issues, either clogged filter or bad pump(s). The service manuals have lots of steps you can try for testing fuel pressure, flow, etc.

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
Contact Jonathan at blueridgemb.com, or here on these forums (jhodgk5 or something like that).

·
Registered
2005 C230 Sedan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So changed the fuel filter, and although I can feel the difference in the way it runs and it was long over due. That wasnt the problem. What should I try next?

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
Have you checked the flow rate as suggested above to see how much fuel you get in 30-40 seconds? That's what I would do next.

·
Registered
2005 C230 Sedan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will try that but I am a little confused on where to pull the line. You said from the back of the car, so should I pull the line from where the fuel filter output is, or is there another line I should be pulling. Will and old milk jug work to fill?

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
No, you disconnect the line at the fuel distributor that comes from the back of the car. There are two connections at the fuel distributor, I think its the one in front of the other. You unscrew that line, then simply stick it into an empty jug. An old milk jug should be fine. Let it run for about 30-40 seconds and see how much you get.

I suggested the service CD because it has pics of this kind of stuff with step by step instructions as well as the various specs and other fuel related tests that can be done if you have the right equipment, like fuel gauges.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
It is the first gas line towards the front of the engine.

·
Registered
2005 C230 Sedan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so I got the lines off and jumped the FPR. I timed for 35Sec ,What I pulled from the line was less than a quarter gallon. So any ideas what I should be doing next?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts