Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300E
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some backstory: When I bought this car, it ran really rich and pretty terribly. Took it to a shop where it got pretty much sorted out, still have to push the gas down a bit to get it started but runs perfectly after that. Always has good idle and performance. Today I was driving, came home, and needed to leave again about 30 minutes later for work. Car wouldn't start. I did my normal push the gas about 1/4 of the way which always works and it would stutter in low rpms, start for a second while I revved it up, then died. Tried this multiple times. Went to work in another car, came back, and my dad had gotten it into the garage with many starting attempts moving little by little. Any ideas? I do not think this is an ignition issue, it has new plugs and a new ignition coil. As I mentioned, we had a lot of fuel work done to it which I believe included cold start valve and the jet tronic fuel injection I believe (which I am not very knowledgeable about, my apologies.) I know the fuel pump works, I can hear it. I just don't know where to go, as it sometimes will start if I hold it to the floor, but will then die with the throttle still pressed in. Thank you.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,542 Posts
First thing i would do is a fuel presure test . .Check all large vacumm hoses under the fuel distributor .Also on the base of the fuel distributor metering unit is a large rubber seal these wear out and split letting in air .

·
Registered
1989 300E
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing i would do is a fuel presure test . .Check all large vacumm hoses under the fuel distributor .Also on the base of the fuel distributor metering unit is a large rubber seal these wear out and split letting in air .
Thanks for the reply, sent it to the shop and our mechanic said it was a blocked fuel line probably. I'm guessing because the car sat outside for a year or two it was rust in the fuel tank. Probably gonna replace it.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,542 Posts
Check the filter,, if you have one ,,that fits
7c048eca-dabe-eda4-0083-85eef2076e79-after-replacement.jpg
in to the fuel distributor .If rust as moved down the fuel pipe then this filter should need replacing it stop crud getting in to the F/distributor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts