Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6; 1991 300SE
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - just had an issue today which caused the car to stall at idle. Here's the story:

- started the car, fuel level warning light + all instrument cluster lights except check engine stayed on (battery to SRS)
- drove along, noticed lights dimming (including headlights)
- stopped for gas, no problems starting, but same issue as above with warning lights
- stopped for groceries, no problems starting but same issues with lights + left and right signals started going a bit haywire + defroster switch started blinking when i turned it on
- drove for 2 min, idled in left turn lane and car died
- had to boost to start it up - drove home (approx 1 km) with all the same issues as above
- came to a halt in the driveway, car died again at idle speed

When I bought the car (approx 12,000km ago, at 197KM) the battery was dead and needed to be refilled to work properly. No problems with it over the summer. It's now pretty damn cold in Ottawa, and I've had several cold starts in the last few weeks.

What could this be? Alternator? Simply a battery that needs replacing? Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6; 2010 Porsche Boxster; 2009 Mini Clubman
72 Posts
How long was this going on for? Usually you have a little bit of power before the alternator goes because this definitely sounds like the alternator. It's draining the battery and causes the stalling.

This happened to me about 17 years ago 120 miles from home. It was a weekend college party and I brought 4 people to ISU (Illinois State University) in Bloomington. Long story short, my car was stuck there fore a week and 6 of us had to SQUEEZE into a Firebird for 120 miles. Not fun.

Don't go driving a long ways since it will eventually leave you stranded. My 2 cents..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the time the lights first came on until it first stalled ... I'd say about 15-20KM of city driving.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your answers.

Is there a way for me to test the alternator myself to see if that's the source of the problem?

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
1,291 Posts
Since you are in Canada...take it to CAN tire and ask them to check for you. There should be tons of that shop everywhere in Toronto. Should be free like any other auto place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts