Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post.

Hello all. I will be purchasing a 1989 190E 2.6 today. I have owned MB in the past but I am not really familiar with the 190's. I there anything in particular that I need to watch for? Is the motor a straight 6?

thanks
Sean

· Registered
190E 2.6 , 1996 E300
101 Posts
congrats

I can answer it is a inline 6. How many miles are on it?

I've owned mine from 70K until now 203K and the following have been issues (in all reality they are normal wear and tear and I'm extremely content)

1. Distributor/rotor/wires/plugs
2. one window actuator $189
3. alternator due to a short in my battery) $250
4. battery ($100)
5. tires of course
6. brakes of course
7. windshield ($290) I drive on a highway and rocks suck
8. Aux water pump ($100)
9. upper radiator hose ($20 incl install)
10. Fuel filter every 30K (6-8 months to me) $20-30
11. ball joints (my car was from buffalo,NY so salt ate my ball joints -$300 for parts and labor 80-100/pair
12. flexi disk $100 for parts and labor
13. transmission cooling doodad ~$200 parts and labor
14. Transmission cover plate ($80)
15. valve cover gasket $20 part and $40 install

seems like a lot, but the car has over 200K miles and I drive it like a race car. I still hit >100 mph weekly and have taken it for an average speed of ~90 mph for more than 15 miles straight with no issues. Its a race tank!!

hope that helps.

190E Boy

check out www.190revolution.net

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car has 119K on it. It is a single owner, female real estate agent, who took the ca...

The car has 119K on it. It is a single owner, female real estate agent, who took the car to MB for everything that was wrong. This is what she said.

So, I feel pretty good about it. The lady's daughter is driving now. It's white and has clean interior and no dents/ rust. It looks good for $3000.

What is the flexy disk? Whay about a timing belt/ chain?

Sean

· Registered
190E 2.6 , 1996 E300
101 Posts
sounds good

What is the flexy disk? Whay about a timing belt/ chain?

the flexi disck is a linkage (piece of rubber)between the transmission and drive train, its basically a joint between the two to prevent unnecessary rubbing/noise. That's my best guess. $35-50 for the part. If it was Benz serviced it was done at 50K proabably..check the records..they'll be in the book.

Timing chains are what these have and I've heard you don't change them for atleast 200K miles...mine's still original (knock on wood)..you'll know when they're going bad when you start the car you'll hear claking noises for 30 seconds or so..usually they'll tighten the tensioners and then eventually change the chain.

Anything else?

190E-Boy

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright. It needs a valve cover gasket for sure. Also there is a plastic cover on the ...

Alright. It needs a valve cover gasket for sure. Also there is a plastic cover on the valve cover. This one is cracked and stuff. Where to get one?

On the underside of the hood, there is a foam layer for noise/ heat damper material. It's kinda junky. Where to get one?

Sean

· Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,803 Posts
My first suggestion to any MB owner is to go to www.performanceproducts.com and request th...

My first suggestion to any MB owner is to go to www.performanceproducts.com and request the free catalog for their model car. The parts pages and exploded views are priceless . . . and free! Their regular prices are a bit on the high side, but their service is excellent.

For online shopping for parts, for courtesy reasons, try some of the sponsors of this forum, and also check out:

www.buymbparts.com
www.adsitco.com
www.fastlane.com
www.thebenzbin.com
www.mbpartsonline.com
www.silverstarrecycling.com
and for interior pieces
www.worlduph.com/mb19.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.