Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i bought a 1989 190e a couple of weeks ago, when i bought it it didnt run, i havent been able to get it to start, today i found a large crack in the distributor cap, my question is do i need to replace just the cap or will other things have been damaged too, also the guy i bought it from says that it blows a fuse for the starter

·
Registered
'87 190E 2.6
186 Posts
I'd never recomment just a cap replacment - always replace them in pairs Cap & Rotor. If it's a 2.6 get the cap o-ring as well use some dielectric grease to seal it with ;-). Trust me.

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, thanks, the cap should be in today so i guess ill have to wait till tommrow for the rotor and oring, would the rotor just be corroded or damaged as well? money is really an issue with this car.

·
Registered
1989 190E 2.6
715 Posts
If you're gonna do the dist cap you might as well do the rotor they're not that expensive. I went through a horrible time with stalling and running issues when my cap and rotor were bad. The car was almost undriveable and would stall as soon as the rpms dipped below 2000. Then I'd have to wait for a half hour or so before it would start again. I eventually replaced everything ignition related all at once and that fixed my problem but my dist cap was in horrible shape.

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, im not putting any of this in myself anymore, i got the cap today, tried to put it on and broke it, $100 down the drain also i called napa auto parts and they cant get the oring

1 - 5 of 5 Posts