Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1984 500sl
655 Posts
It's not that big of a job. I had mine done in 2009. I think it was about $350.00 and that was mostly labor. The parts were not much.
I had a local Indie do the work.

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
The discs are about $80.00 each (2 required), but the labor cost is heavily dependent upon your DIY capability. If you have the tools, time, and inclination to do it yourself, you can get away for pretty much just the discs. There are 'complications' though: The center hangar bearing should be replaced if it has not been already. The disassembly will put you in the neighborhood to check and replace the transmission mount, if needed. The parts are not that expensive, but the labor can be a bit pricey if you're having it done at the dealership.

If you are 'insane' (and experienced) enough to try it, the savings can be considerable.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,353 Posts
Yes that is DIY. The kit includes new bolts, nuts and washers.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,355 Posts
It's a job best done on a lift.
My corner mechanic charged me something like an hour and a half labour to change them out. I bought the replacements at Autohauz.

·
Registered
1986 300 SL Euro spec - Signal Red/Black Eng/Trans: Inline 6 (M103.982) / 722.322 Auto
1,976 Posts
Just had mine replaced two weeks ago. Parts ran about 250.00 (both flex discs, center hagar bearing, rear axle seal). One flex disc was almost twice the cost of the other for some reason, but mine has a 6 cylinder engine and maybe the discs (& whole trannie assembly) are different, check to make sure you get the correct ones. The new ones make shifting feel soooo much smoother ! :D

Cant comment on labor costs, as in my country that is where I am priviledged, spent USD 100 :eek: to get them installed and took about 4 hrs time:eek:, but also had the shocks done at the same time. :eek:

Good luck. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts