Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil on my 88 for the first time five days ago. When I went to unscrew the drain plug, I found it to be on so tight that I had to leverage myself against the front left tire and push the wrench with my foot to loosen it. Obviously, somebody had put it on too tight. So, I took a look at it after I got it off and it looked fine. No crossthreading, the head wasn't rounded off, etc. I put it back on pretty tight. . .but not as tight as it had been on before. . .and filled the car up with oil. The next day I find a puddle the size of a hand on the ground, the leak coming from the plug. So, I cranked it down some more. Now, I've gotten it down to where it leaks one drop every twelve hours. What is the deal with this? I had a guy supposedly knowledgeable on German cars that the copper ring on the plug. . .which I don't remember seeing. . .needs to be changed every oil change. I can live with two drops a day for now. . .but what about next time? Anybody else experience this?

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,448 Posts
There is a copper washer that is supposed to be on the bolt and normally comes with the new oil filter (o-ring for the filter housing and brass/copper washer for the oil drain plug).

I'd get a new oil drain bolt and washer from the dealer to use next time you do an oil change. FYI, the oil pan comes off rather easily (many little 6mm allen head cap screws) so if the drain hole threads are messed up, not a big deal.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
The reason for the copper washer it to avoid warping the alloy pan with the drain plug, which may have happened – if the pan’s metal alloy (which is relatively ‘soft’) around the drain plug hole is warped or damaged, it will leak. [:(]

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
What kind of filter did you buy that didn't come w/ the various seal rings? The seal plug need about 20 lbs at most to hold it. Good luck getting the seal ring on there and not making a mess~~!

Jonathan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts