Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SL, 92,500 KMs
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Looking for some help regarding my 87 560SL with 92K Kms.

The car had been parked for about 15 years. Over the past year, I replaced the fuel tank, fuel strainer, fuel pumps, fuel filter, fuel accumulator, followed by new spark plugs, ignition wires, distributor cap, rotor, EHA, fuel pump relay, OVR.

Prior to initial start-up, I flushed fuel lines to ensure no bad fuel would enter the fuel distributor and added about 20 litres of fresh premium fuel.

When I attempted to start the vehicle, to motor would run for a few seconds, then stall. After several repeated attempts, the vehicle would not fire at all.

The closest independent M-B repair shop is about 1.5 hrs. from my home. I know this topic has been discussed before, but I am hoping to get some guidance to help resolve my issue.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1987 560SL, 92,500 KMs
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, I posted in the incorrect section, please move to R/C107 SL/SLC Class. Thanks!

·
Registered
1980 450 SL
92 Posts
I guess start with this: After it won't start see if you still getting spark from coil or to plugs. Do you have any way to check fuel pressure? After running a few seconds loosen the fuel line and see if you have pressure. If it's been setting for 15 years I would suspect the fuel distributor probably needs to be cleaned up. I would at least check the plunger in the fuel distributor to see if it was sticking. Not as experienced on 560's as many on this forum but the initial start may be from the cold start valve only.

·
Registered
1987 560SL, 92,500 KMs
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@JHTx : Thank you for your input.

Last night, I removed one of the fuel injector lines from the Fuel Distributor (FD), then had my son crank the motor. Sure enough, the motor fired and stayed running. I could also see fuel coming out of the top of the FD.

After reattaching the file injector line, the more fired up again with no issue.

The only thing I can think of a possible air or fuel vapour lock in the FD.

Regardless, I am happy the vehicle is running after a 15+ year nap!

·
Premium Member
1989 560SL
2,065 Posts
For what it's worth I chased a similar issue and found out it was the ignition switch which would connect and then drop off. Chased fuel issues for days.

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL, 1992 190e 2.3, 1984 300D turbo, 1966 VW bus
392 Posts
is your air flow mixture plate adjusted properly? Has the EHA been adjusted? I have been told they sometimes need adjustment even when new.

Maybe try throwing your old EHA on for testing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts