Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you have upgraded your car stereos for something better, myself included...I've installed a Sony CD/Tuner, pre-amp and two 6x9 speakers on the back 'seat'.

Question is: Have any of you installed subwoofers? I lose a lot of bass when the top is off. Some audiophiles have mentioned subwoofers installed under the seats...just looking for any suggestions on the topic, as space is limited in the car. Thanks.

Oh, and does anyone know the size of the stock front speakers? 4"? 3.5"?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Many of you have upgraded your car stereos for something better, myself included...I've installed a Sony CD/Tuner, pre-amp and two 6x9 speakers on the back 'seat'.

Question is: Have any of you installed subwoofers? I lose a lot of bass when the top is off. Some audiophiles have mentioned subwoofers installed under the seats...just looking for any suggestions on the topic, as space is limited in the car. Thanks.

Oh, and does anyone know the size of the stock front speakers? 4"? 3.5"?
hi whats up ... i have the same mercedes as well and installed a pioneer 9400mp3 deck with a jbl 1200 watt amp in the trunk. I have two 12" infinity subs in the back seat with a custom box which fits in the back seat. Almost done the install so it looks flush but basically the subs are right behind me. Sounds loud with the top on or off ... in the front i have 2 infinity 3" speakers. I believe that is the max, couldnt fit 4" properly. I can take pictures soon or videos soon and post them. As far as subs underneath the seat i dont know how they would fit unless you put 8" underneath. Dont bother putting subs in the trunk because the rattling would be hoorible. So thats why the back seat i think is the best, enough room to put a sealed box or 2 12"s subs. Where did you fit the 6x9's?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
speakers

I installed the 6x9's essentially where you installed your subwoofers...in the back seat facing skyward. Seems like you get plenty of {{{BASS}}}! I saw these 8" self-contained Kenwood subwoofers at Crutchfield.com that look like they could work under the front seats...I just might order those. Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
560SL
28 Posts
Hey how are you doing. I have done extensive audio installs on my 560SL, and I strongly...

Hey how are you doing. I have done extensive audio installs on my 560SL, and I strongly believe a sub would not fit under the seat. There is very low height, and there is not enough room for a box. You need air to push and pull to create sound, and a subwoofer needs more than conventional speakers. The thing with the 560SL is that it doesnt have that much room for air, so you need to maximize what you do have with efficient speakers. The fronstage on this car is terrible. You can only fit 4" speakers in teh dash, and I dont think I can even hear them anymore. I replaced my stock with Alpine 4" coaxials, and had a custom install of 6*9 JL audio in the rear, like Arabian knights, mine are installed under the deck in a custom enclosure, so you cant tell its not stock. The bass out of the JL is incredible. I installe da 4*75 watt Eclipse amp last year, and things are running even better, louder and cleaner sound. The 6*9 over power the front no matter what. You could go for a 8" dual woofer setup in the rear, but you wont want to over power the real music you hear from the front, which have to be played very loud to get anything semi audible. I heard infinity is coming out wiht very small profile speakers. I took apart the front door assemblies 2 months ago to see the feasability of puttin in seperates: woofer in door, and replace 4" with custom tweeter mount. The thing is, the door has no depth, there is the HUGE power window assembly. THere is one square portion however which would fit a low profile speaker nicely. I will definatley look into it, would give the car a more balanced sound quality. What kind of 6*9 do you have? My whole rear deck was remade, so it is stronger and has much better resonance, I wouldnt recommend installing speakers on the stock rear deck, that wood is by now old and weak. FOr subs, you would have to get a free-air model, which are getting more rare to find these days. You would also want to keep it flush, i dont reall know how Arabian has 12"s in the rear, there is not much space. Better to have 8" efficient free air woofers hooked up to a really good amp, probobly 100 watts each. The car is so small, you really do not need much. And to make this a ICE machine, would be ridiculous, remember we drive a classic 560SL, but I do feel your need for bass, but the important thing is acoustical balance, cause the rear has more air to work with than the dash mounts. Good luck and let me know what your plans with your car are, I am always interested.

·
Registered
560SL
28 Posts
Hey how are you doing. I have done extensive audio installs on my 560SL, and I strongly...

Hey how are you doing. I have done extensive audio installs on my 560SL, and I strongly believe a sub would not fit under the seat. There is very low height, and there is not enough room for a box. You need air to push and pull to create sound, and a subwoofer needs more than conventional speakers. The thing with the 560SL is that it doesnt have that much room for air, so you need to maximize what you do have with efficient speakers. The fronstage on this car is terrible. You can only fit 4" speakers in teh dash, and I dont think I can even hear them anymore. I replaced my stock with Alpine 4" coaxials, and had a custom install of 6*9 JL audio in the rear, like Arabian knights, mine are installed under the deck in a custom enclosure, so you cant tell its not stock. The bass out of the JL is incredible. I installe da 4*75 watt Eclipse amp last year, and things are running even better, louder and cleaner sound. The 6*9 over power the front no matter what. You could go for a 8" dual woofer setup in the rear, but you wont want to over power the real music you hear from the front, which have to be played very loud to get anything semi audible. I heard infinity is coming out wiht very small profile speakers. I took apart the front door assemblies 2 months ago to see the feasability of puttin in seperates: woofer in door, and replace 4" with custom tweeter mount. The thing is, the door has no depth, there is the HUGE power window assembly. THere is one square portion however which would fit a low profile speaker nicely. I will definatley look into it, would give the car a more balanced sound quality. What kind of 6*9 do you have? My whole rear deck was remade, so it is stronger and has much better resonance, I wouldnt recommend installing speakers on the stock rear deck, that wood is by now old and weak. FOr subs, you would have to get a free-air model, which are getting more rare to find these days. You would also want to keep it flush, i dont reall know how Arabian has 12"s in the rear, there is not much space. Better to have 8" efficient free air woofers hooked up to a really good amp, probobly 100 watts each. The car is so small, you really do not need much. And to make this a ICE machine, would be ridiculous, remember we drive a classic 560SL, but I do feel your need for bass, but the important thing is acoustical balance, cause the rear has more air to work with than the dash mounts. Good luck and let me know what your plans with your car are, I am always interested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts