Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560sl 100k miles, 1987 300sdl 195k miles
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '87 560sl, with 92,000 miles on it. Has run great for a couple years, but has recently given me a bunch of issues.

The car has recently had a full tune-up and the front suspension set up replaced. A couple of weeks ago the car would not start up, but the engine would turn over. This happened a couple of times and then didn't happen again.

A couple of days ago now, the car, when started up has a lot of fluctuation in the idle. Then when I put it in drive and hit the gas there is a lot of hesitation in the acceleration, sometimes almost to the point where the car stops completely. When pressing on the gas its almost like it is going back and forth between neutral and drive.

I can also feel something strange with the tranny, like its more loose and when I have the window down I can hear it clicking when shifting.

At first I was thinking fuel injectors until I heard the tranny clicking, Please help pointing me in the right direction!

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,315 Posts
I suspect a fuel problem.
Try a search on this forum for fuel problems. It's a popular subject, with lots of good information.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,933 Posts
Are you sure its the tranny clicking and not the fuel pump relay.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not sure if its the tranny of something else. It sounds like its coming from the tranny because it only will click when I shift. But I don't know much about this car.

Where is the fuel pump relay on the 560 and how difficult is it to change?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any ideas about the the clicking noise?

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
I can also feel something strange with the tranny, like its more loose and when I have the window down I can hear it clicking when shifting.

Any ideas about the the clicking noise?

I think you have unrelated issues here. If the tune was very recent, and done at a shop, I'd stop by and have them check their work.

As for the clicking, I would check motor and trans mounts. In addition the front and rear flex disks as well as the center support bearing assembly should be considered.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn it it happened again today.

Ok so when I press on the gas it does the opposite, it decellerates. If I put the car in park and let it sit for a couple of minutes and let it "balance out" its idle then I can start driving normally.

frustrating to say the least. Does this seem like the fuel pump relay?

Where can I get a repair manual for this car, I haven't been able to find a paper one. Which CD is good?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,323 Posts
damn it it happened again today.

Ok so when I press on the gas it does the opposite, it decellerates. If I put the car in park and let it sit for a couple of minutes and let it "balance out" its idle then I can start driving normally.

frustrating to say the least. Does this seem like the fuel pump relay?

Where can I get a repair manual for this car, I haven't been able to find a paper one. Which CD is good?
The CD is alright....if you have nothing else. The manual you want for the car is on ebay.....eBay Motors: MERCEDES MANUAL CHASSIS & BODY 107 1972 - 89 (item 300218969927 end time May-23-08 10:51:05 PDT)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took some pictures. Im trying to figure out which one is the fuel pump relay, if its in here at all.

I also hope it is not the fuel distributor. I want to try some less expensive alternatives before I replace that. The fuel pumps are working. I was reading about the fuel accumulator which sounds like a possibility. What about replacing the oxygen sensor? Do any of these symptoms seem like they could root from that??

Sorry about the questions I have only worked on aircooled beetles before and this is far more complicated

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
literally right after I posted that last reply I found your thread, it was very helpful thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts