Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82MB123D, 88MB300E(sold),87~560SL
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 87 560SL that has 81K miles, and been in storage for the last 2 years in Santa Cruz, CA (saltwater environment). It has a slight hesitation on accelleration and i am concerned as i have to deliver it back home 1000 miles away. Does anybody know where the fuel filter is located, and how hard it is to replace? Thanks, Pete Walls

82 300D
fomerly a 89 300E,
learned on a 52 300 sedan (my mothers)

·
Premium Member
87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
1,575 Posts
The fuel filter on my 87 300SL is located underneath the car behind the fuel tank. It is pressurized by the fuel pump so don't try it without some guidance.

Sorry I don't know any more.

Andrew

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,750 Posts
Pete Walls said:
I just bought an 87 560SL that has 81K miles, and been in storage for the last 2 years in Santa Cruz, CA (saltwater environment). It has a slight hesitation on accelleration and i am concerned as i have to deliver it back home 1000 miles away. Does anybody know where the fuel filter is located, and how hard it is to replace? Thanks, Pete Walls
Hi Pete and Welcome!

Before you go fiddling with the filter, run the tank low and put two cans of either SeaFoam or Berryman B12 into the tank. Both are pretty good cleaners and might just address your hesitation. If they don't, the filter replacement procedure is as follows.

The filter is located right above the fuel pump in a housing behind your right rear wheel. The first thing to do is to depressurize the system. This can be done one of two ways:

1) Remove the glovebox and pull out the black fuel pump relay. It's the one behind the one that says 002 545 11 32 (or something like that), which is the idle control relay. After you pull the relay out, try to start the car. If it starts, let it run until it stalls then crank it for 10-15 sec to relieve and residual pressure.

2) This is almost easier. Just remove both wires from the fuel pump, then do the whole start/crank thing.

Once you've depressurized the system, take a pair of hemostats (or good Wisegrips) and crimp the fuel lines going to and from the filter. Loosen the clamps and remove those lines from the filter. Have a bowl or somethig ready to catch the fuel spillage (there will be some, even though it's not under pressure). Once the lines are off, unscrew the large clamp that holds the pump and the filter together and remove the filter. Discard the old O-rings, the new filter should come with a pair of new ones. Install the new filter and reassemble the lines and such. This would be a good time to inspect the clamps holding the fuel lines on the filter and on the pump. If they are corroded, just replace all of them, they're like $3 for a set of 8.

Once everything is back together reconnect the pump or the relay and start the car. It may crank longer than normal while it's building the pressure back up. Once the car is running, go back there and check for leaks.

·
Registered
82MB123D, 88MB300E(sold),87~560SL
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fuel Filter

Sounds pretty much the same procedure as used to replace the fuel filter on 4 and 6 cyl Chrysler products. I had to replace it on my 89 Labaron CVT last fall and some gas came out, but I just used 2 pair of vicegrips on the hose, protecting it with little pieces of wood, and before i hooked up the tank side I let some gas run out to clean out the garbage. Seems to work fine; the engine ran perfectly after that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts